Hayward Colorlogic 320 Replacement Questions

YoPool

Jan 7, 2020
Charlotte NC
I have 3 colorlogic lights and the one in the spa started getting dimmer and finally failed after about 2 years. I pulled it out this weekend and found water inside the LED area. Looking at it raises a few questions I am hoping the community can answer:

1) water inside the LED part is BAD I am assuming (pic 1) - I imagine that is why it failed, right?
2) what is all the black gunk (pic 2)? Some sort of sealant?
3) The manual specifically sates: "Insert the ColorLogic/CrystaLogic 1.5” LED light fully into the conduit as shown. IMPORTANT: Do not use silicone or any other type of sealant".
Could this have caused the failure?
4) When I install a new one should I just put it in the conduit and not put anything (e.g. black gunk) around it?
5) Given how expensive these things are, would you recommend switching to a different light, either within the Hayward family or from a different manufacturer? Keep in mind i have 2 other colorlogic lights that are working fine (knock on wood)

Last couple of pics are just to show the labels on the light.
IMG_3097 crop.jpeg
IMG_3098.JPEG
IMG_3095.JPEG
IMG_3096.JPEG

When you get tired of replacing Hayward lights you can try....

If the light was installed by your pool builder along with our pump and filter, Hayward will warranty it for 3 years. I actually had luck getting one from Hayward at the 4 year mark this past summer. The black gunk- is it hard or soft like gum?

Hayward may want you to run a warranty claim through your builder. The black gunk is likely gasket sealer. I can't see how that would cause any issues but I'm curious why it was done. There's nothing in the Hayward LED install instructions that mentions that. Perhaps something looked off with the built-in gasket. Good luck.

When you get tired of replacing Hayward lights you can try....

Aren't these only 11w where the Hayward are 23W? Is there a noticeable dimmness?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.