Gallatin, tn
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I have a hayward cartridge filter I believe C3030 and I just purchased a W3C5030.
1) Is there any difference between the expert line vs open line other than the warranty period?
2) I got a really good deal on the larger filter but as far as I can tell the only difference is the taller cartridges and the taller top part. Is this correct that the base is the same between all the models?

If that's all true, I'm temped to leave the base and replace the parts from the new model that wouldn't require removing the base.

I have a hayward cartridge filter I believe C3030 and I just purchased a W3C5030.
1) Is there any difference between the expert line vs open line other than the warranty period?
2) I got a really good deal on the larger filter but as far as I can tell the only difference is the taller cartridges and the taller top part. Is this correct that the base is the same between all the models?

If that's all true, I'm temped to leave the base and replace the parts from the new model that wouldn't require removing the base.
You can always try it with the new top and old bottom if it fits. The pipe the manifold sits on may be too short. Problem I used to run into was when replacing a filter top under warranty and trying to install on the old bottom. Many times the older portion had slight changes in dimension from use/exposure to the sun, etc. and the thing would leak. Won't hurt to try if the manifold will sit on the standpipe.

Reactions: Newdude
You can always try it with the new top and old bottom if it fits. The pipe the manifold sits on may be too short. Problem I used to run into was when replacing a filter top under warranty and trying to install on the old bottom. Many times the older portion had slight changes in dimension from use/exposure to the sun, etc. and the thing would leak. Won't hurt to try if the manifold will sit on the standpipe.

I found that the parts diagram gives you a good idea of the differences. The pipe you mentioned was one and the manifold was another.

It looks like the water in and out pipe just screw on but I’m not sure. I believe they would be at the same height so it should be pretty easy to swap out. Then sell my 2 season old filter.

I asked the pool builder to go bigger with the filter but this was 2020 and things were hard to get. Ended up with a filter smaller than I wanted.

Hopefully with the new one I’ll only have to wash the filters once per season.

Reactions: Newdude
I found that the parts diagram gives you a good idea of the differences. The pipe you mentioned was one and the manifold was another.

It looks like the water in and out pipe just screw on but I’m not sure. I believe they would be at the same height so it should be pretty easy to swap out. Then sell my 2 season old filter.

I asked the pool builder to go bigger with the filter but this was 2020 and things were hard to get. Ended up with a filter smaller than I wanted.

Hopefully with the new one I’ll only have to wash the filters once per season.
They should be the same connections at both filters and the height should be near the same, but not always. If it is, be sure to get some new O rings for the connections and re-use the existing unions.

Last edited:
They should be the same connections at both filters and the height should be near the same, but not always. If it is, be sure to get some new O rings for the connections and re-use the existing unions.
It worked out really good. I purchased the "new" filter at an online auction for $290. I know I won't get the warranty but who cares at that price. The only issue was the pressure gauge doesn't work and you can tell it has been damaged. It only took about 5 minutes to replace it and I used all the new parts except the screw on connection and the piece glued to the PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.