Hayward Aqua Trol reading zero salt level.

John Holmes

Aug 3, 2022
Delaware
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My system is showing zero salt and check cell and salt lights are on. I have had my cell checked by 3 different centers and reads good at each one. power and generating lights are on but no chlorine is being produced my salt test shows 3200 salt level.

It sounds like the control unit may have a problem. I'm not as familiar with the Aqua Trol as I am with the integrated unit in ProLogic, but I would suggest looking to see if there is a fuse that can be replaced. Often, adding salt without turning off the chlorinator until the salt mixes in well (~12 hrs) can cause high amps and blow a fuse. Have a read of this:

I think all the Hayward systems use basically the same circuit, whether the ones built into AquaLogic, ProLogic, OmniLogic; or the standalong AquaRite and AquaTrol (above-ground version of AquaRite...though I honestly doubt there is much difference to them other than marketing).

So hopefully that link can help you troubleshoot your system.

I have tried adding additional salt and letting my system run and still no such luck all the troubleshooting videos I see say reset the instant salt but when I follow those instructions they all say wait for the click sound and then switch it to chlorinate but I don't hear a clicking sound when my cell generating light comes on its like there is no power to the cell.

This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing an problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?
Pressing the diagnostic button sequentially will display:

• Default salt display
  • Pool temp
  • Cell Voltage - When not generating, the voltage is about 30 to 32 volts dc. When generating, the voltage drops about 1 volt per amp of current.
  • Cell current
  • Desired output (% of the knob)
  • Instant salinity
  • Product name
  • Software revision (r.XX)
  • Cell type
The Hayward Aquarite Troubleshooting Guidelines explains each reading.

• Instant salt = the cells reading of the current salt PPM
  • Average Salt = the average salt reading of the last 3 cycles of the cell.

• Default salt display 0.00
  • Pool temp 81.0
  • Cell Voltage - 31
  • Cell current 0
  • Desired output (% of the knob) 100p
  • Instant salinity -0.00
  • Product name al-7
  • Software revision (r.XX) r1.45
  • Cell type t cell 5
these numbers remain pretty much constant whether its off generating or super chlorinating ... Low salt and check cell lights remain on.

LOW SALT Message & 0 Salinity, 0 Amps​

The salt cell does not have the DC voltage needed to function. The symptoms correlate to either of the following;

• Bad In-Rush Current Limiter (RZ3)
  • K1 or K2 Bad solder (most likely suspect)
  • Logic Controller failure (worse case scenario)
A replacement board should fix this issue. If you're technically inclined, you might save the existing board by inspecting the solder or by replacing the relay if determined faulty.

The board is basically an Aquarite board with the timer added. The relays are the same. If you understand how to fix boards then lots of information in Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

The voltage is Ok, but maybe it's not getting to the cell.

Are you checking right away?

Did you reverse polarity?

• Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?
Do you have pictures of everything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.