Hayward 310T2 Sand Filter Questions

Spdif48

Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2019
Turlock, CA
To kick off my adventure in pool ownership I thought I'd start with something easy and replace the gauge on a Hayward 310T2 sand filter that always reads 0. I ordered one from TFtestkits with my TF100. I pulled the old gauge out and was happy to see the gauge mounts to a brass insert in the multiport valve. And then things took a turn for the worse.

The new gauge didn't fit, threads are too big. It appears TFtestkits got a gauge with 1/2" threads in a box marked 1/4". So I put the old gauge back in.

I took the opportunity to clean out the pump strainer basket. The basket is broken at the top. Add a that to the shopping list.

So now I know if have let air into the system. I read the filter manual and find the dire warnings about air trapped in the filter and "thou shalt use the air relief valve". The manual contains no information on the location or operation of an air relief valve. Do sand filters with top mount multiport valves have air relief valves? Do I need to do something to get the air out?

Instead of doing the smart thing and leaving the pump off until I found enlightenment on TFP I decided to set the multiport to rinse to try to blow the air out the waste pipe then I thought quickly pump off, change to filter and pump on. The first time I tried this water was still coming out the waste pipe. I rotated the multiport valve through a full circle and back to filter. At first I thought the plastic in the valve was crumbling but maybe its just dirty or sandy. Now water isn't coming out of waste and water is coming out of the returns so the pump isn't deadheaded. I don't know if I am filtering.

When I checked the returns I found the hose for the MX8 sucking air where it couple to the leaf canister.:eek: Its fun when you can hear the pool sucking money out of your wallet. Any hints for a quick fix or is it robot time?

The multiport valve needs to come off so I can check/deep clean the sand filter. Do I attempt a rebuild on a 5 year old valve I don't know the history of or just buy a new one because I'd be buying most of the parts anyway in order to guarantee I can put it together when I am done?

Amen to never moving the handle while the pump is on.

I think I should get a new pool too. J/k. I’ll buy a new multi port valve. Luckily the existing one has threaded connections so reassembling everything will be easier. Then I can deep clean the sand filter.

Thanks @kimkats

The new gauge didn't fit, threads are too big. It appears TFtestkits got a gauge with 1/2" threads in a box marked 1/4". So I put the old gauge back in.

The filter takes a 1/4" gauge and that's probably what the new one is.

I suspect that the existing gauge is 1/8" with a 1/4" x 1/8" brass reducer bushing.

Do you have a picture of both gauges and the multiport hole?

Note that a 1/4" pipe thread will measure 0.54" on the outside. So, that can make it confusing if you measure the threads outside diameter.

1/4" is the nominal (name) of the size of the inside diameter of standard 1/4" pipe, but you can't go by measuring the inside diameter either, because it will vary by product.

I suspect that the existing gauge is 1/8" with a 1/4" x 1/8" brass reducer bushing.
I think this is what is going on. I've read a lot of posts from people with Hayward multiport valves in the past week and none have talked about a brass gauge fitting.

Here is a pic of the TFP gauge and its close enough to the 0.54" JamesW described to be the right size.

My main question is should Hayward sand filters with top mount multiport valves have an air relief valve?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.