Hayward 250FDN CE flashing error code

Mar 14, 2016
Houston texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy fellow TFP’ers. Looking for some expert help or possibly if someone has had same issues....... my Hayward 250FDN Nat gas heater has crapped out on me. I was out of town and we got a pile of rain with TS Beta and now the heater won’t work. The display screen is blank on the heater and only shows a “CE” error if you push or hold one of the mode buttons but only for a second. It then flashes the same CE error every 10 seconds or so. I’ve tried cycling the power, but before I order replacement parts I wanted to throw this on the forum to get thoughts. I’ve read that it’s fairly common for the display piece to have to be replaced as well as the control board, however none of the symptoms (CE code flashing or only on when you push or hold a button) appear to match others symptoms where they just have a CE code solid on the display, or nothing displayed at all. Thoughts? Much appreciated!

It seems to be a common problem with water getting into the display circuit board...

Definitely and unfortunately, yes it does. I’ve read some reports of DIY water proofing the display panel, which I intend to do once I figure this out. It’s just odd to me that I can’t find any instances online of the blinking CE, rather then just a solid CE or nothing at all. Hopeful someone will have same issue and can advise if only a single part is needed or both, or something else. Sigh....... not very impressed with Hayward products thus far.

I believe I’ve found the problem..... I was lazy and asking for help before ripping it open. There was a rodent living in there. After scaring me more then him, it’s clean and Inspected. The 4 wire ribbon wire from the display board to the main board was chewed through, only on the black wire. In no electrician but that may explain why its flashing CE (broken relay assuming). All other wires and parts look ok. Problem is now, where to find a replacement wire, as all I can find is expensive entire board replacements. Any help appreciated on that part!

Post a pic of the chewed ribbon wire so we can see your situation.

Dang I already tried to repair it.... I sanded down the two ends of the chewed wire and replaced with a small
Wire and electrical tape. The display was still showing the blinking CE but it fired up! Tried it a second time and it went back to original. My kiddos are going to wake up shortly. I’ll have to try again tomorrow when mom is home and will update/post pics.

Is there a connector on both ends of the ribbon cable?

See that’s the issue here, there isn’t. It’s straight connected to the board via solder. I’m sure Hayward designed it that way so rather then a couple bucks for a ribbon cable it’s 160 for the whole board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And now the even crazier part. I did a better repair job to the ribbon wire and the heater works perfectly. BUT it’s still flashing the CE error and buttons on the heater are not responsive. I’m lost for an explanation........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.