Hayward 1200 StarClear Plus Filter Housing Drain Plug

joenewsguy

Apr 20, 2019
Florida
Hello: Have a Hayward 1200 StarClear filter system installed in 1999. Today, the housing drain plug blew out (old age). Trying to replace it but the part, # CX250Z14A, does not fit, it too blows out under water pressure. This is the same part # of the plug in the 1200 model installed in 1999, but I am pretty sure Hayward redesigned the 1200 model housing, the ones on display in the retail pool stores are slightly different in design. So in my opinion, the hole where the drain plug screws into also was redesigned, thus why the correct part number does not work in a 20-year-old model 1200.

There's got to be an older drain plug out there somewhere waiting for me! Please don't say I have to purchase a $365 model 1200 filter housing (or any other new filter for that matter) when the one I have works perfectly well (plus installation cost, of course),... other than there's no drain plug, for now, that is.

Hayward "support" has not been much help, except to say I have the correct part number. Yes, I know that, ...

In the attachment here, you will see a drain plug from a 1200 Hayward on sale on Amazon. Take a look at the plug's edges. They are not the same as this one , which is the currently designed plug CX250Z14A. I am fairly certain the one in the attached pic is closer to what I need from 1999, and yes, I know the part number is correct for the 1200. Take a look at the edges of the plug in the link above you will see the difference, it has tabs of sorts, that is not the one I need. My older model housing's plug is more of a smooth edge, no tabs at all.

Ideas? Thoughts? Solutions?

Thanks in advance....

Attachments

• hayward1200-filter-housing-drainplug.jpg
    hayward1200-filter-housing-drainplug.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1
Joe, if Hayward can't help, you might try Inyopools. They have a fairly deep catalog of parts. Not sure if this will help, but on my C1200 I have an actual spigot as opposed to a simple drain plug. Have you ever tried a spigot? It comes-in handy sometimes. Just a thought.

full

Goto a pool store (calm down guys) and look at the parts book, it will be like a phone book. The page with your filter should have the 20 year old part in it. My 1998 Whisperflo uses a 20 year old basket cover noone is familiar with and the o ring is different, but it is in the book. The cover design changed in 1999 or so. It is very possible it is discontinued, but I doubt it, you just haven't talked to anyone who knows what they're doing it sounds like. Make sure the threads are in good shape on your pump housing, since you said the plug is blowing out.

Inyopools looks like they have the same graphic from the pool store book, and yup only one part number shows. If a spigot fits, then any NPT fitting should fit. Try a PVC threaded plug with a god bit of teflon tape, but again, I suspect the heads are boogered up. Same thing happened to me with my old Starclear. The pressure gauge fitting cracked, and I tried JB weld and epoxies to no end, until I broke down and replaced the filter housing.

Joe, if Hayward can't help, you might try Inyopools. They have a fairly deep catalog of parts. Not sure if this will help, but on my C1200 I have an actual spigot as opposed to a simple drain plug. Have you ever tried a spigot? It comes-in handy sometimes. Just a thought.

full
Interesting idea in a spigot ... So go to a pool store and ask for a spigot? Size? Sorry, not a DIYfer.... Part number? Example? Sell me one right quick ? Thanks!

So go to a pool store and ask for a spigot? Size? Sorry, not a DIYfer.... Part number? Example? Sell me one right quick ? Thanks!
Sure. It's just your standard sized spigot. Mine is actually plastic and not metal like on the house. Either should work I suppose and not break the bank if it doesn't work. Not sure what size off the top of my head. But if you try it, you might also have a plan to seal it around the threads and where it mates to the body. I think they used plumbers goop on mine.

Reactions: joenewsguy
TexasSplash, I hereby nominate you for TFP Contributor of the Year Award. Fantastic idea, working like a charm on Day 1. With temps near 90 degrees in SW Florida, i needed a fix -- quickly -- before algae set in.

Thanks a ton for an $8 answer to the $60 million question.

JoeG

Attachments

• 20190421_152250.jpg
    20190421_152250.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190421_152257.jpg
    20190421_152257.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Texas Splash
Congrats there u go! You will quickly find that this place is a wealth of information.. and no one is trying to sell you 50 dollar magical “clear your pool” juice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.