Having to backwash at least twice during vacuum

nothahari

Jun 16, 2019
Baton Rouge
This will be my first full season. We replaced the pump and filter we originally bought because it was Intex and we don't have an Intex pool. There were lots of connectivity issues...

We used brand new sand in the new filter. Each time I vacuum, after about 1/4 to 1/2 of the pool bottom, the pressure jumps from the normal 14 psi to 18-20 psi and suction dies off for the vacuum. A quick backwash and rinse fixes it but is this a sign that I may have Crud caught up in the filter that would indicate I need to maybe do a deep cleaning of the filter? We did have a particularly rough spring with pollen pods from the maple and oaks nearby.

For reference:

FC: 3
CC: 0
pH: 8 (high but we just had a bunch of rain and have not had a chance to drop it)
TA: 140
CYA: 30

the vacuum we use is:

Welcome to TFP :)

It just means you have a smaller sand filter and it is doing its job.. When it comes to filters bigger is always better.. Take a TR100 that holds 600 pounds of sand and a TR140 holds 925 pounds of sand, you could go a month and not backwash with one of these huge filters...

Reactions: nothahari
Welcome to TFP :)

It just means you have a smaller sand filter and it is doing its job.. When it comes to filters bigger is always better.. Take a TR100 that holds 600 pounds of sand and a TR140 holds 925 pounds of sand, you could go a month and not backwash with one of these huge filters...

Thanks. I guess I was hoping that the new slightly larger filter could handle the floor gunk that has been collecting this spring. Went from a 50lbs to the 100lbs.

It is finally clearing up, though. Today, I definitely didn't vacuum and backwash as much as I have had to in the past few weeks.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.