Having Pool company close for season

Jul 11, 2017
Minnesota
I know most of you have done this by yourselves. I am looking at doing it next year, just dont trust myself at doing it for my 1st year. Besides them blowing out the lines and lowering the water, and putting chemicals....

I see some talking about covers, pillows....The only cover i have is my solar cover. Last owners didnt leave anything behind. Am from Minnesota...Do I cover it with something, or do I just leave the water exposed? If I need to do something....links or types of stuff a few of the veterans use....I can always do a Amazon order, otherwise try to find it at a local store.

Thanks in advance..

LeRoy

27 ft round above ground pool

This is my first year doing this too - having just bought a house with a (big) pool.

The previous owners left their soft, solid cover (basically just a big tarp). The existing pool company came and blew out the lines and closed the pool putting on the cover and the water bags.

As a newbie I was concerned about ANY water sitting on the cover and went out and bought a Little Giant pump...but I have since been told that some standing water on the cover is fine...and that with the lines having been blown out and the skimmers closed and “Gizmo’s” in place, that the covers purpose is really to keep debris out of the water so it doesn’t take as long to clean it when the pool is opened in the Spring.

i have since bought corner water bags and learnt that you shouldn’t overfill the regular, long water bags as when they freeze they will roll if they are round...so you want them to be flat to prevent that happening.

Im not sure if I will go to the expense of getting a more expensive type cover next year with anchors in the deck...I think I’ll get through this first season and see in six months what the issues have been and how much of a headache this one is and what state the pool is in when we take the cover off.

Good luck.

My first year too and I am nervous as well. I'm doing what Saleen455 did, minus the water weights. There's a nice picture too (https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/36472-Anyone-Using-a-Mesh-Winter-Cover/page2). Just ordered robelle 24' mesh cover (the more expensive one with 4 foot overlap) and the 3 double raft floats ($230 total). Going to drain the water below the return jet, then leave the return jet open (with exterior hose attached) so as water penetrates the mesh cover and rises it will drain out of the return. Hope it works well and good luck to you.

Hey cantplay. I think your plan is good. I am doing almost the same thing. I use those spring clamps, they are great. The only difference I am doing is I am covering the skimmer with an aquador so no water can get in there.

I never thought of leaving the return open with a hose attached. That is a great idea. I actually use 15 foot hoses so I can have my water drain far away from the pool.

Just make sure when it snows either take the cover off or make it really really loose so the weight of the snow doesn't bow in the uprights if its really really tight.

Thanks for the tip on the snow, will watch out for that. That return drain thing came from some other old thread, so hope it works and doesn't cause me any problems. Going to have to look around for our skimmer door too. Also read where some AGP mesh tarp folks drain rising water out of the skimmer.

Hey cantplay. I think your plan is good. I am doing almost the same thing. I use those spring clamps, they are great. The only difference I am doing is I am covering the skimmer with an aquador so no water can get in there.

I never thought of leaving the return open with a hose attached. That is a great idea. I actually use 15 foot hoses so I can have my water drain far away from the pool.

Just make sure when it snows either take the cover off or make it really really loose so the weight of the snow doesn't bow in the uprights if its really really tight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.