Having issues getting pool clear

If you tested at 22, your SLAM level is 20 so you need to add 0. The 20 number comes from the CYA/Chlorine chart that I linked earlier (see Shock Level on that chart). THAT goes in the Target field during SLAM. The target listed on the Pool Math page is for normal maintenance. For when your pool is clear and has passed all the SLAM criteria. For now, until you finish the SLAM process your target is always 20.

It is confusing but Pool Math only gives recommended normal operation levels. In the SLAM process you use the CYA/Chlorine chart to determine your shock level FC target.

Your FC will drop between additions. You test your water again. If it's at 22 now it will drop based on how much FC is consumed by algae or other organics it is attacking. For instance, right now you're not adding because your FC is high enough already. In an hour or so you test again. It may be at 20 it may be at 16, it may be at 10. Whatever your next test result is you put that in the Now field and leave the Target at 20. Then Pool Math will tell you what to add. Play with Now numbers less than your Target 20 and you'll see how it changes.

Ok this morning I did test twice to make sure I was doing it right.......
FC is high at 40
CYA is down to 40

So on the chlorine/cYa chart shock FC should be around 16 so I don't need to add anymore bleach as of right now. Will check it this evening
Just going to vacuum and brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17,205gal, 27x52 AG, 300lb Cristal-Flo II sand filter 145362C, 2hp Dynamo 2speed pump DYNII-N2-2, Install date June 2012, Hayward Aqua Critter ( have not used )

It was 80 drops!
And yes 5 gals was added by my husband before I could tell him not to that night.
For the past week every night we've been doing anywhere from 8-12 gals every night. And as soon as my daughter got home with more he had already dumped 5 when I seen him and said stop!

Yes the pump is running all the time. I just picked up another gauge and will get them changed out as soon as I get home.

17,205gal, 27x52 AG, 300lb Cristal-Flo II sand filter 145362C, 2hp Dynamo 2speed pump DYNII-N2-2, Install date June 2012, Hayward Aqua Critter ( have not used )

Ok
I have my daughter vacuuming right now and WE CAN CLEARLY SEE THE BOTTOM AND DEBRIS!!!!
There might be over the limit chlorine but it's clear now and I don't see any wood shingles! Just dirt and leaves! That's a big plus, I was so worried about what was on the bottom!!
Now when vacuuming once all the edges and as far towards the middle is reached and I can see the bottom is it safe to get in to reach the middle?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just tested the water and FC is at 25 and CYA is roughly 45

Ok we've scrubbed the walls and vacuumed the bottom all way around twice and I'm pretty sure I've reached the middle and got out the majority of leaves, dirt and debris. Can't see anymore what looks brown. Everything looks a cloudy blue.
I'm going to let the water circulate for about an hour and then before bed I'll check the FC and see where it's at.

L

I would suggest one dedicated person to make chemical additions to the pool. So... who's it gonna be?

That's what I said last night ! ;)
It's going to be me!
L

woke up this morning and tested FC at 13.5, and could see some algae particles floating and so skimmed them off as best as I could....... I plugged that number into Pool Math and it said 1 lb 2 oz so I added 1 gal of bleach, went to brunch...... ( and that was after we had a big thunderstorm roll through most the evening and all night and at some point we lost power and popped a breaker so the pump wasnt running )

Came back home a few hours later after letting the pump run I vacuumed and let it circulate about a hr and tested FC and it was at 20.5

will let it continue running and maybe vacuum again this evening and will test FC again and will post that info........

L

Ok so vacuumed as much as I could and had my pole extended as far as it would go I had to get in to reach the middle and I think all the leaves and debris are gone. I don't see any dark spots in the pool anymore.
FC tested at 18 so added half gal

I hope a few more days of vacuuming and keeping the FC up around 20 the water clears up.
It's still cloudy but can see bottom

L

This morning FC was 18.5
Added the other half gal and let it run a few hrs. It was really starting to clear up more and while on a latter I could really see leaves and other debris in different spots. Vacuumed some in those areas and brushed the rest making it semi cloudy. Going to let it circulate and settle to do it again

my8a7uja.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.