Having a new AGP put in 4 June........

Jun 1, 2010
Bonaire, GA
Greeting All!

I have never owned a pool before and can sure use some advice to get started the right way...kids are REALLY looking forward to it :-D...my set up is listed in my signature...these are my initial questions:

1. The pool comes with a 1 month supply chlorine starter kit...is that enough to get the pool right from the beginning?

2. What king of Chlorine do i use after the kit runs out?

3. Can you please recommend a SWG for <$200?

4. Do you recommend a chlorinator (i.e. The Liquidator, or maybe something along the lines of a Rainbow 320) instead of a SWG?

5. Can you please recommend a testing kit that will give me all the readings i need without breaking the bank.

I have $500 to purchase all these items, not counting the supply of chemicals i am going to need for the rest of the summer.

Thank you all for your help!

Bo

Attachments

• smiley_salute.gif
    smiley_salute.gif
    429 bytes · Views: 191
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

For once, I'll try to keep this short (I get carried away sometimes).

1. Maybe. Depends on what chems are included.

2. Just about everyone here uses bleach or a SWG.

3. Intex SWG. However, I don't know where to get the best deal, hopefully someone who knows will see this post shortly.

4. I personally would say SWG.

5. TF-100 (link is in my sig) or Taylor K-2006. I would go with the TF-100, more of the reagents you'll need the most for a great price!

Between the test kit and the SWG you'll be right at $300. That leaves more money in your pocket, and with this site more time to enjoy the pool!

Congratulations!!! You (and the kids of course!) are going to have a great summer :party: :whoot:

I would go to Pool School located at the top right of the 'page. It will serve you well!

I'm a bleach guy, and I use a Liquidator (there are many places to buy them; check my sig for info as well). I've had salt systems and prefer the easier way (bleach) to the upkeep and pump run times that I personally need here to maintain levels. BBB is as simple as it gets, and the results are incredible!

Buy the test kit here, and you will be in control of your pool from the start! The learning curve is short, and the information is invaluable. It actually becomes fun after a while, and you will be proud of the way your water looks when you take control!

Congrats again on the purchase, and welcome to the 'page!

They already told you about the test kit. Get a good one at the get-go. Seriously. It will save you more than it costs when you don't have to go get your water tested. Pool store people tend to be very persuasive salesmen.

Bleach is the simplest. Take a reading, punch the numbers into Pool Calculator, grab a jug and a measuring cup, and you're set. I suppose if I was starting from scratch, I might get something automated. But everything works flawlessly right now, and no leaks, so I am not about to start modifying things.

Salt systems sound great, but you have an above-ground pool and kids. That means a lot of splashing. What will salt water do to your landscaping? If it's a weed patch, who cares? But it's something to consider.

In your budget, don't forget to include a leaf skimmer, a thermometer, and a vacuum.

Hi Robins Airman,

We also have a salute smiley :-D .....here: :salut:

You have gotten great advice. What is in the starter kit? Please list items and ingredients.

Yep, Pool School is chock full of wonderful info: :study:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thank you all for the quick reply....

- Got the TF-100 online 15 minutes ago...good call...i read reviews and everyone seems to agree on it.

- I think i am going to go the bleach route as you all advised...seriously considering the Liquidator for that job...thoughts?

- simicrintz...does that mean that a Liquidator reduces the pump run time? please explain...i am a newb...thanks.

- Richard320...got the calculator saved to my favorites...Thanks

Thanks again all!

Bo

Butterfly...i will list them as soon as i get it on Friday...Rec Warehouse threw it in with the pool when i bought it...it will take about two days to fill the pool so i will have some time to figure out how much more i got to run to the store for.

Thanks for the welcome and reply!

Bo

Robins Airman said:
- simicrintz...does that mean that a Liquidator reduces the pump run time? please explain...i am a newb...thanks.

Bo

Here in So. Cal. I need to run my pool too long with a SWCG to maintain my chlorine residual. We also have extremely hard water, which impedes the cells ability to produce chlorine when the cell grids calcify. The longer I have to run my pump, or the harder it has to work to make chlorine, the more it costs me in electricity. I run my pump for 6 hours a day, and the Liquidator holds my chlorine at 5 ppm. There is an "upgrade" that is discussed elsewhere on the page to up-size the lines on the Liquidator, allowing it to deliver more chlorine in those cases where it is needed.

PM me if you would like more info. Congrats again on the new pool (and for ordering the test kit already!)!

Richard320 said:
Salt systems sound great, but you have an above-ground pool and kids. That means a lot of splashing. What will salt water do to your landscaping? If it's a weed patch, who cares? But it's something to consider.

Please be aware that there are also many of us with above ground pools, kids and lawns who have been using SWG systems for several years without incident or damage to our equipment, decks, lawns, shrubbery or landscaping. It is another option to consider at some point if you should so choose. The bleach method works quite well equally by manually adding or using a liquidator.

I guess the point is that there is no "best" way to put chlorine in your pool. Whichever way is most comfortable, and works best for you, is the best application for your pool. You need chlorine, so you have to get it in there somehow :-D We don't all drive Chevy's (but we should :twisted: ), and they still sell Fords (although I don't understand why :twisted: ), and it is no different with salt systems/filters/pumps/heater/etc.!

Just messing with the Chevy/Ford thing; don't really want to start anything here :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then there's that awesome Cummins wrapped in a Dodge! :blah:

Now back to the topic at hand.

I've considered a SWCG but went with the LQ (liquidator) because I got a good deal on it. I soon learned that on my system it needed the 3/8" upgrade to get good flow out of it. I consider the upgrade to be a necessity more than an option.

The biggest advice I can give you is to figure out what the best fit for you and go with it. There are folks here to help whichever direction you go.

Thanks all...i think i am going the manual route until i learn to maintain chem levels in the right ranges and then i'll probably try the Liquidator...if that turns into a hassle...i guess a SWG would be next...but i think i have enough information from your advice and what i have read to get going. i am taking leave next week to complete the landscaping around the pool and all the odds and ends that may come up...i will post pics as soon as i get everything worked out...wish me luck!

Thank you all...Bo

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.