Have to plumb in a SWG & add a timer to a recently purchased pool

Jun 19, 2015
Rochester/NH
We recently purchased this home with an inground pool & are getting ready to open it for the first time in a few weeks. I purchased an Edge 40 SWG that I intend on using once I convert it from Baquacil. Looking at the plumbing & wiring it is the most basic set up with some age on it so it’s probably best for me to spend some time performing any necessary upgrades now. What’s the best way to approach this project, replumb it with schedule 40 & add the SWG? There is no timer, just one 110 outlet that they plug the filter into with a light switch on top to turn the pump on/off. I travel for work so I’m looking for something basic that will work without having to turn the pump on & off. Budget is also concern since I just purchased the SWG, Robot & TFP test kit without even seeing what’s under the cover or testing the pool.

Attachments

• 1EC9950C-78A3-4D59-B14C-E353070C2CF4.jpeg
    1EC9950C-78A3-4D59-B14C-E353070C2CF4.jpeg
    845.3 KB · Views: 19
The edge 40 will auto sense the power so no issues running it to the 110 plug in.. An Intermatic timer would work to turn on and off the pump on a daily schedule and you could also connect the SWG to it and have that turn on and off at the same time... That would be best so you only run the pump long enough to get the chlorine you need..

I have no idea what one you will need, I just know about them..

As for hard piping that will be interesting as I have never seen that kind of setup before.. You have hard pipe, flex pipe and some other type of PVC, looks like irrigation pipe...

Good luck with getting the goo gone, I hear they make interesting pictures :)

Thanks for the response, I am feeling that I purchased a nightmare but have to work through it now. The plumbing looks like a mess & only having a single 110 outlet in the box isn't helping when I want to add the SWG, hopefully someone with a similar set up will chime in & give me some help on how to turn this disaster around.

How is the WiFi signal there? You could install a WiFi outlet into the existing box. This would give you phone app/Alexa/Google Home control for scheduling. Most of these switches require a neutral wire to maintain power to the device. I use Kasa TP-Link switches, plugs and outlets around the house. I have used many other brands and found Kasa to be the best.

If you have a single outlet in the box, you should be able to convert it into a dual outlet. Below is an example of something that will work if you have a neutral wire in the box. These are not rated for "outdoor" use, but I have a couple installed in weatherproof boxes that have held up for several years. You would need a larger "in-use" outlet cover that closes completely.

As for the plumbing, if it ain't broke, I wouldn't mess with it.

This outlet is rated for up to 15 amps...

The outlet would give you independent control for each plug. You might consider a way to install a 4X4" post to mount the SWG controller. If you're handy, you could make some type of weather cover over the unit. Convert the outlet box to a junction box and mount a new outlet box a bit higher on the post, also protected by the elements.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolverine
A search on the site may net more threads, but here's one I remember seeing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.