Have to backwash every five days???

Sep 22, 2011
I have a DE filter. In past season, I would backwash maybe once per month. For some reason, lately I've had to backwash every five days. Basically, I notice that the water pressure out of the return jets is diminished. When I check the filter, the pressure is up to 24 PSI. After I backwash, it drops to 12 PSI before I add DE, and then about 14 PSI after I add DE. The water pressure is restored after I backwash, but then about four or five days later, the pressure goes back up to 24 PSI and I have to backwash again. Any ideas? I suppose I should take apart the filter and see if anything weird is going on.

Thanks,

Kevin

Edit: I should note that the pool isn't getting any more use than usual.

I can give that a try, but I'd be surprised if that was it because the water is crystal clear and in order for enough algae to frequently clog the filter, I would suspect it would be somewhat visible in the water.

I can give that a try, but I'd be surprised if that was it because the water is crystal clear and in order for enough algae to frequently clog the filter, I would suspect it would be somewhat visible in the water.
I wouldn't. But the other possibility is that you never completely backwash all the DE away and then when you recharge it gets overloaded. A teardown and cleaning will eliminate that possibility. Doesn't even have to be a complete disassembly. I usually backwash briefly, then open the filter and blast the grids with a spray nozzle to knock everything off, reassemble, and finish the backwash.

An extreme case of what I'm talking about:

DE filter.jpg

I took the filter apart... like an idiot, I forgot to backwash it first though. Here's what it looked like Kind of strange how green it was. Not sure if that's normal, since I always backwash before disassembling. I had a rope separating the shallow end from the deep end and I noticed that the fibers started coming apart earlier this year. I replaced the rope, but it looks like a lot of the old rope was left in the filter, even after several backwashes. Not sure if that was part of the problem, but I disassembled everything, cleaned it all out and reassembled. Pressure is great so far.

Edit: You can see that the hose coming out the top was particularly covered in rope remnants and crud.

T4pI31L.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.