Have some kind of yellow algae (?)

march2012

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2012
TX
Was away for a month and my pool turned green in the last week we were away. We have a saltwater system but with the texas heat at 105+ it wasnt able to keep up on the 60% setting that I set it to before I left.

We got home tuesday night and so started slamming the pool on this last wednesday. My CYA is around 70 so I used 28ppm of FC via bleach.

I poured all the FC into the hot tub which cleared the hot tub overnight then it took another day for the rest of the pool to clear.

Unfortunately after all the green was cleared there were yellow stains on the pool surface. Brushing them doesnt do anything.

I thought it might be mustard algae, but I thought mustard algae was more powdery.

I did another night of slamming until the pool passed the OCLT and then switched to mustard algae protocol. Last night I bumped up the FC to 60 (by accident) but it didnt have any effect on the yellow. I was thinking it might be slightly lighter, but my wife says no.

The water is very clear

Here is a picture.

pool yellow.jpg

Probably high copper levels.

What copper has been added to the pool?

Can you show the whole pool and system?

Do you have and ionizer or a mineral cartridge?

Have you used copper or silver algaecide?

Can you remove the filter cartridges and show them before and after cleaning?

Try the stain ID kit.

Maybe the tab feeder is back feeding chlorine into the heater.

Are you feeding something else through the tab feeder?

If yes, what?

Is the peristaltic pump for acid or chlorine?

full

full

full

The color of your plaster is very close to the first type of copper stains, which makes diagnosis difficult.

Copper stains usually start out blue or turquoise and then turn black as the copper oxidizes.

full

full

full

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

img_3631-jpg.491584

full

full

full

img_3630-jpg.491585

img_3629-jpg.491586

img_3630-jpg.491585

The vitamin c test was apparently a terrible idea.
I don’t agree that it was a bad idea because it has provided important diagnostic information.

It has provided information that indicates that you have something in the water that needs to be addressed before it becomes a much larger problem.

As you can see from the pictures posted, the copper can go from turquoise to black as the oxidation state of the copper gets altered.

I recommend that you have the water tested for copper to see where you are at and then plan to address the issue if it comes back as high.

The stain ID kit is also recommended to see what that shows.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.