Have I already messed up by filling over 4 days with no chemicals?

JMZ400

Jun 21, 2017
Ocala, FL
Hello everyone!
I've been trolling here for a few weeks as I just purchased an Intex 15x48" Ultra Frame. I decided to upgrade the pump, filter, and add a SWG after reading such success stories here.

After spending a week or so working on the site, I erected the pool frame on Tuesday and began adding a little water (about 3") to stabilize the liner on Wednesday. Thursday I worked from 8am -12am and was unable to work on it. Today I continued to fill and noticed I already have a slick film developing on the bottom. I'm guessing algea from the hot FL sun?

I do not yet have my test kit, nor my pump connected but planned on doing that tomorrow (Saturday) after work. As well as adding my salt.

Pressing question is.... Should I run to Walmart tonight to get bleach to head off a potential nightmare?

Although I have my Sand filter, I plan to hard pipe it which I have not yet begun, I was thinking of just hooking up the cartridge filter for a few days to get things going while I assemble my hard lines.

It's clear to me now I've put the cart before the horse, but work the wife and 5 year old not understanding why when the box says "45 min set up" it's taking weeks to get this thing up lol.

Thanks for your input.

Pressing question is.... Should I run to Walmart tonight to get bleach to head off a potential nightmare?

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

The answer would be yes. Right now you probably want about 1/2 bottle of 8.25% bleach and mix it in well with a brush or net on a pole. Don't just pour it in in one spot and let it sit. Bleach is slightly heavier than water and if not mixed will sink to the bottom where you poured it in and bleach the liner.

Ok received the k-2006 test kit today. Here are my numbers. Have not yet hooked up salt generator yet but ready to now. Just been adding bleach last few days as instructed above.

FC .5
CC .5
PH 8
TA 140
CH 140
CYA 0

One note: When testing pH, it was it matched at 8.0. 2 drops of acid demand brought it right to 7.4

Well then we need muratic acid to get the pH down and some CYA to bring that to 30. Both are available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Is teh water still clear with no "slimy" feel yo the walls?

Is the salt in the water? If not you have to add the salt and make sure it is all dissolved befor eyou think about starting thw SWCG.

Acid, CYA & liquid chlorine now to get things in order.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have seen on here that it is recommended to get your FC level to where you want it with bleach as an SWG is great at maintaining your FC but can stuggle to bring it up to where you want it from 0 - I am kinda new to this helping others thing, so let's have someone smarter confirm or deny this thought :)

I have seen on here that it is recommended to get your FC level to where you want it with bleach as an SWG is great at maintaining your FC but can stuggle to bring it up to where you want it from 0 - I am kinda new to this helping others thing, so let's have someone smarter confirm or deny this thought :)

That is correct.

Establish your FC with bleach first, then use the SWG to maintain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.