Have Copper pipes ONLY on the returns from Heater to Spa and Pool

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Fiancee's pool again, 14,000 gallons with spa and solar. House built in 1980, so pool is not any older than that.

I did not even realize that pool had copper pipe, most of pipe near pump, heater, and filter is PVC, painted brown, and then black.

Been talking about converting pool to SWG, friend of fiancee' said they did that, and immediately converted back when someone discovered copper pipe. Fiancee' said she had copper and showed me.There is just a stub of copper pipe sticking up on each of the returns to the Spa and to the Pool. No where else, all other plumbing appears to be white PVC, under all that brown and black paint.

So would a pool be built with just copper on the returns? Even plumbing coming out of heater is PVC, until a couple of inches off the ground, where it's copper. And all the suction plumbing is PVC.

Thoughts on any of this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I had the exact same set up! I found out that the old heaters used copper as a "heat sink" when it shut down to keep it from overheating. New heaters don't require this. So my guess is at some point they got a new heater and cut the copper to a stub up to connect with PVC.

i just moved my pool equipment and dug up the copper rerun lines and found (based off an old pool builder in my area) that it only ran about 10', then converted to PVC. I cut it out and got rid of it so I can go with a salt system in the future.

I had the exact same set up! I found out that the old heaters used copper as a "heat sink" when it shut down to keep it from overheating. New heaters don't require this. So my guess is at some point they got a new heater and cut the copper to a stub up to connect with PVC.

i just moved my pool equipment and dug up the copper rerun lines and found (based off an old pool builder in my area) that it only ran about 10', then converted to PVC. I cut it out and got rid of it so I can go with a salt system in the future.

Interesting. Since you live in Clayton, California, it could have been the same builder. This pool is in Pleasanton and was built sometime after 1980 when the house was built. I will find out who the builder is if I can.

Why the worry about SWG & copper? All chlorine pools contain salt.

The biggest issue with copper pipes is maintaining proper pH to prevent corrosion, releasing copper into the pool.

Yes, my house was built in the 80's too. I also recommend a zinc sacrificial anode. It seems like a small investment to install these items to keep the metals in any of your pool system(s) from corroding (especially in salt water!).

Good luck in Pleasanton...

Interesting. Since you live in Clayton, California, it could have been the same builder. This pool is in Pleasanton and was built sometime after 1980 when the house was built. I will find out who the builder is if I can.

JackOfAll,

It looks like it is an Anthony Pool. That what the ring around the pool light says. Do you know your pool builder?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.