Have any of you disassembled a Pentair Intellichlor SWG?

zghorner

Jun 20, 2021
okc, ok
I begrudgingly replacing my IC40 this season (it is several years old but only displayed 20% life used as I have never needed to run my pool that much...and looks to be in excellent shape plates and all).

I would really like to take it apart to check for corrosion on electronics, tinker around, etc...popped the top off and it looks like a circuit board sealed with thick black coating. Tried to gently pry the board up and it wont budge. It has 4 holes one on each corner that may have screws but it looks like the black sealer was put in those holes as well. Any tips on getting this thing apart without breaking?

It is epoxy used to seal and waterproof it.. There is no way other than destroying it to get it apart.. You can cut it in half but that will kill it 100%..

It the cell just not working? Did you take it to leslies to have it tested?

Reactions: zghorner
That is almost impossible to get any good parts (besides the flow switch) from a genuine Pentair unit, they are built as disposable, when it fails, you through away the whole thing (including the electronics portion)

If you go with one of the generics on the market, they are made to be individually replaceable, the cell , electronics controller, and flow switch can all be taken apart in couple minutes. Your long term cost is very low, less than 1/2 even if you replace the entire unit, much less if you just replace the cell (plates).

I have gone through many brands, but by the look of it, I believe they all come from the same assembly line.

They can use your existing power center, but not with automation (missing 2 out of 4 pins)View attachment 349881

It is epoxy used to seal and waterproof it.. There is no way other than destroying it to get it apart.. You can cut it in half but that will kill it 100%..

It the cell just not working? Did you take it to leslies to have it tested?
i didnt know leslies tested cells. The green cell light was flashing so i tried a few things to fix and nothing worked...cell is 5-6 years old but only shows 20% life used. Plates in excellent shape i have never had to clean with acid...although i did do that hoping it would fix the inspect cell issue. Also added extra salt until the high salt light was flashing as well as cut the green and white wires to the flow switch because i think it was reading temp as low.

that really sucks that you arent able to work on these things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.