Hard plumb agp

Donah

Jun 15, 2018
Las Cruces New Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Trying to hard plumb my above ground pool. Its hard sided. I only have filter and pump. Skimmer to pump, pump to filter, filter to pool. Has anyone done this. I have seen several with heaters, salt generators etc. basically I need a list of parts you used. I purchased some from another list but am now returning parts. Don’t want to make several trips to the store. I would like to be able to remove the pipes at the end of season and also be able to put valves to close off the flow.
any help appreciated?

Most of what you're asking about can be found in this thread: PVC and SWG for New AGP

The only difference you won't have a SWG. Draw a plan out of how you want the pipes to go and in your head think about where 90 degree fittings may go and note it on the plan. You'll want 1 valve by the skimmer and 1 by the return. I would also put a union between the skimmer/ return and the valves so they can be removed in winter. Put a union at the filter intake and return. Put unions anywhere where the pump meets the filter so that you have easy access to service the filter. Again visualize where the 90s go. Once you have the plan drawn out with 90s and unions you can count how many of each you need.

Before gluing anything dry fit everything to make sure you have your measurements correct, pipes slide into joints and unions so there are additional dimensions involved. Use clear primer and glue, not the purple stuff to make it look "nicer".

Having a blueprint of what you are doing ahead of time will make it easier as you assemble. Mistakes can still happen, I would have extra piping, unions and 90s around just in case, you can always return what you don't use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donah
Hi! I did mine last year and it worked great for winter close and this years spring opening,

qwSZaUR.jpg

Please note I used the wrong elbows they should be rated for pressure I apparently used drain pipe elbows. I’m running on low speed right now and have no issues. I definitely recommends the valves and unions. Make sure you don’t get glue on the Union threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donah
Me Too!!! Very Happy. Not too difficult, just time consuming. Don't rush your PVC joints. Take the time to let the glue set. The TFP members were a big help to me while I planned. I was terribly annoying with the questions, but they didn't let me flounder. Yes, be sure not to use Drain Pipe Elbows. The 90 degree sweeps I used were for pressure. Found them at a local, independent, pool supply store near me.....Make a drawing with measurement, ask lots of questions and buy a couple more of everything than you think you'll need. You can always return what you don't use...Lean into it, you'll be fine....

full
full
full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.