Palm City/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
My Hanna Phep pH probe is 11/2 years old and still going strong. It holds calibration for 2-3 weeks and even then is never more than .1 pH unit off. So it calibrates quickly. I've even let it dry completely out a couple times and after re-hydrating in storage solution, calibrating it came right back.

Last night I messed up pretty bad and accidentally calibrated with pool water that was pH 8.1 instead of the standard 7.01. That really messed it up and when I tried to calibrate with the right solution it gave an "err" message followed by a "clr" message. I thought this would clear the bad calibration but it kept giving me the "err" message. So I dug up information on Hanna's site that indicated I needed to place the probe in cleaning solution for 15 min then re-calibrate. I figured this was a long-shot but tried anyway. Voila! It worked. Calibration was completely normal and it's working fine with no "err" message. I've read there are many owner that get 3+ years from this tester although Hanna indicates 1-2 is normal. So I'll keep plugging away with this one 'till it fails.

I hope this is helpful for those out there like me that have a tough time with the phenyl red ph color test.

Chris

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
My pH meters have never survived the winter shutdown. I am sure usage 12 months out of the year helps their longevity.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I keep being tempted to get a pH meter, I may have to pick up a Hanna meter. Since I want to do all grain brewing in the future if I get the right one it could be double duty for measuring wort pH too

There are indeed many models. Hanna makes two models of Phep testers. I use HI98107 which is accurate to .1 pH units for a little under $40. There is a near identical looking unit model HI98128 that is accurate to .01 Ph units but it's about $100. The only difference is 2 decimals vs 1. I think .1 is plenty for pools.

Chris

Last edited:
There are several other brands that seem to get a lot of pool/brewer use. Apera, and Hach both seem to make competitive units. New models are now coming out in the #30-$50 range that seem to have better and better features like replaceable tips and smaller more compact form.

Chris

Reactions: HermanTX
There are several other brands that seem to get a lot of pool/brewer use. Apera, and Hach both seem to make competitive units. New models are now coming out in the #30-$50 range that seem to have better and better features like replaceable tips and smaller more compact form.

Chris
I did a little searching on homebewtalk and it appears the Apera PH60 is well liked. Available for $80 off Amazon, 0.01 resolution and 0.02 accuracy, and $40 replaceable tips.

How often do you use your pH meter? If I got one I suspect it would become my primary means of checking my spa pH, so it would get regular, year round usage (in addition to brewing pH measurements).

Have you ever had to pull out any of the cloth junction your Hanna meter has?

Reactions: Staceyleah22
I check pH a LOT. Every time we swim it's so easy I check it. I would say average of 4 times per week. Never had to pull the paper the junction 'till my recent mistake with the calibration procedure. When this one finally does kick the bucket I may go with one of the newer models they have with the small form factor and replaceable probe.

Chris

Reactions: jseyfert3
@setsailsoon
Chris... I had originally ordered the pH meter from TFTestkits.net. I never found it very user friendly and didn't have a lot of confidence in the readings. What can one expect for $16.00 bucks but thought I would try it out anyway.

I wanted a higher quality tester as an occasional backup/comparison device for my Atlas Scientific pH probe. I finally broke down and went for something a little more substantial. After reading your posts here, I ordered the Hanna Instruments pHep5 (HI98128) pH/Temperature Tester with 0.01 pH resolution.

Wow... Much higher quality compared to my original digital tester. Loved the way it prompts for the different calibration solutions and compensates for temperature. I did the 3-point calibration. I have a lot of confidence in this tester.

Pool water measured 7.69. Using the standard color-comparison drop test method, my calibrated eyeballs determined pH at about 7.75 or so. So, not too far off.

Thanks for the recommendation! :thumleft:
r.
2021-02-03_09-13-50.jpg

Reactions: setsailsoon
I've been thinking about getting a ph meter, guess I'll avoid the cheap chinese ones.

I did find that Hanna makes a HI98100 and HI98103. Both have removable tips.
I'm reading conflicting information on the 98100 accuracy though, most places it says 0.2, but in one place on the Hanna website it says 0.05

Since it reads to two decimal places (0.00), the 0.05 number makes sense.

The specs for the 98103 also says its accuracy is 0.2.
98100 is $41, 98103 is $30.

So if the 98100 accuracy is 0.05, with a replaceable tip, planning to try it.

I sent Hanna support a question this morning, hopefully will have an answer soon.

EDIT: Hanna support responded, and said the accuracy really is 0.2
So it has the same accuracy as the HI98103, it just displays another digit (which is misleading, makes it appear to be more accurate)
0.2 isn't very good, so not sure what I should do now.

Randy

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.