Hairline cracks in new Primera Stone

I have Primera Stone as well that was done 4 years ago. I have not seen or have any hairline cracks such as what I see in your photos. It would seem that the workers polishing it would have noticed or would have tried to polish them out. Was it good weather when they applied it? I would ask the PB or the subcontractor to review it. Are you now filling the pool?

I have Primera Stone as well that was done 4 years ago. I have not seen or have any hairline cracks such as what I see in your photos. It would seem that the workers polishing it would have noticed or would have tried to polish them out. Was it good weather when they applied it? I would ask the PB or the subcontractor to review it. Are you now filling the pool?
Weather was good during application which they finished around noon. Overnight between plaster and polishing the temperatures were cool, probably got to right above freezing for an hour or two in the early morning (forecast low was 43).

The pool is filling now. I had a brief conversation with the contractor and he said that the cracks will rehydrate and disappear once full. I have a hard time believing this other than they may be harder to see once wet and submerged under water.

Last edited:
They did a full chip out to the gunite.

Well that’s good.

What you’re seeing are shrinkage cracks. They are common in the curing of cement materials and they have many causes but it’s typically due to hydration issues during curing. If cement loses too much water too quickly during the initial curing process, the material can shrink and crack. Too much water in the cement or lubricating a trowel with too much water during hard troweling can add too much water to the surface and that can lead to shrinkage cracks. Once there they will not go away. However, once the pool is full, you will probably not notice them.

Not much you can do about it. They could try sanding the surface more but they’re probably too deep to remove with grinding.

Just something you’re going to have to live with as you will probably be the only person that knows they are there.

Well that’s good.

What you’re seeing are shrinkage cracks. They are common in the curing of cement materials and they have many causes but it’s typically due to hydration issues during curing. If cement loses too much water too quickly during the initial curing process, the material can shrink and crack. Too much water in the cement or lubricating a trowel with too much water during hard troweling can add too much water to the surface and that can lead to shrinkage cracks. Once there they will not go away. However, once the pool is full, you will probably not notice them.

Not much you can do about it. They could try sanding the surface more but they’re probably too deep to remove with grinding.

Just something you’re going to have to live with as you will probably be the only person that knows they are there.
Yes, they are hard to see now that the pool is full.

Knowing that we have shrinkage cracks, is there anything I should do from a water chemistry perspective to lower the chances of calcium coming to the surface through the cracks and making them more visible/white? Is this even a concern? We are very religious about following the TFP methodology.

Just keep your CSI (saturation) balanced. Since you have an SWG, the CSI should be kept at or below zero at all times (-0.3 to -0.1 range). Other than that, not really much you can do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.