Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have a 27' ( I think) round above ground pool I guess its gonna be another one of those expensive seasons:/ I have a few problems. I have 2 hairline cracks in my sand filter tank. I tried to patch it with flex seal pool patch tape but it didn't help much (now its dribbling instead of spraying). The other crack is at least as big (1/2") but isnt leaking. I cant find a tank for sale without the valve etc. Can I fix it? Its old... I don't remember ever replacing the tank (only the valve and lateral thingeys) and I've been here 15 years.

Also, my Intex salt water generator has died, again. Theyve gone from $150 to over $600 this year and I just read about a chlorine shortage...aaaarrrggghh. Any advice ? We tried to bypass something (low salt light) but it didnt work. I've got leaks at most of my connections but I don't want to give up on this pool. Help!

I have a 27' ( I think) round above ground pool I guess its gonna be another one of those expensive seasons:/ I have a few problems. I have 2 hairline cracks in my sand filter tank. I tried to patch it with flex seal pool patch tape but it didn't help much (now its dribbling instead of spraying). The other crack is at least as big (1/2") but isnt leaking. I cant find a tank for sale without the valve etc. Can I fix it? Its old... I don't remember ever replacing the tank (only the valve and lateral thingeys) and I've been here 15 years.

Also, my Intex salt water generator has died, again. Theyve gone from $150 to over $600 this year and I just read about a chlorine shortage...aaaarrrggghh. Any advice ? We tried to bypass something (low salt light) but it didnt work. I've got leaks at most of my connections but I don't want to give up on this pool. Help!
I should add that the 2nd crack must have just happened and it's at the exact same level as the one that's leaking water. Maybe I need to redistribute the sand??

The filter body is a pressurized vessel. Once it develops cracks in the body it is not safe and it is not repairable. What brand and size sand filter do you have?
Hayward S-180T ..holds 150 lbs of sand. I just turned the pump off, do I need to drain the filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No. It has to be replaced. Filters can explode and cause serious injury.
I second this. Best to replace. About 15 years ago I had a filter explode while pressure was building and almost lost my thumb. Tore it in half, bone sticking out. Not a fun ride in the ambulance and I never gained full movement back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.