Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have a 27' ( I think) round above ground pool I guess its gonna be another one of those expensive seasons:/ I have a few problems. I have 2 hairline cracks in my sand filter tank. I tried to patch it with flex seal pool patch tape but it didn't help much (now its dribbling instead of spraying). The other crack is at least as big (1/2") but isnt leaking. I cant find a tank for sale without the valve etc. Can I fix it? Its old... I don't remember ever replacing the tank (only the valve and lateral thingeys) and I've been here 15 years.

Also, my Intex salt water generator has died, again. Theyve gone from $150 to over $600 this year and I just read about a chlorine shortage...aaaarrrggghh. Any advice ? We tried to bypass something (low salt light) but it didnt work. I've got leaks at most of my connections but I don't want to give up on this pool. Help!

RhondaF

Oct 17, 2014
Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I have a 27' ( I think) round above ground pool I guess its gonna be another one of those expensive seasons:/ I have a few problems. I have 2 hairline cracks in my sand filter tank. I tried to patch it with flex seal pool patch tape but it didn't help much (now its dribbling instead of spraying). The other crack is at least as big (1/2") but isnt leaking. I cant find a tank for sale without the valve etc. Can I fix it? Its old... I don't remember ever replacing the tank (only the valve and lateral thingeys) and I've been here 15 years.

Also, my Intex salt water generator has died, again. Theyve gone from $150 to over $600 this year and I just read about a chlorine shortage...aaaarrrggghh. Any advice ? We tried to bypass something (low salt light) but it didnt work. I've got leaks at most of my connections but I don't want to give up on this pool. Help!
I should add that the 2nd crack must have just happened and it's at the exact same level as the one that's leaking water. Maybe I need to redistribute the sand??

RhondaF

Oct 17, 2014
Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
No. It has to be replaced. Filters can explode and cause serious injury.
Oh Crud. I just put all my "close the swamp" chemicals in there :/ Do you know if I can replace just the tank? Is it safe if i turn the pump off?

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
The filter body is a pressurized vessel. Once it develops cracks in the body it is not safe and it is not repairable. What brand and size sand filter do you have?

Reactions: RhondaF

RhondaF

Oct 17, 2014
Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
The filter body is a pressurized vessel. Once it develops cracks in the body it is not safe and it is not repairable. What brand and size sand filter do you have?
Hayward S-180T ..holds 150 lbs of sand. I just turned the pump off, do I need to drain the filter?

RhondaF

Oct 17, 2014
Conyers, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Thank you guys...just did a tiny bit of research and am embarrassed for asking the question now. I was clueless, you may have saved my life...or my pool's life ;) ♥️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

ChristopherDB

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 21, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
No. It has to be replaced. Filters can explode and cause serious injury.
I second this. Best to replace. About 15 years ago I had a filter explode while pressure was building and almost lost my thumb. Tore it in half, bone sticking out. Not a fun ride in the ambulance and I never gained full movement back.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.