Hairline cracks in Hybrid pool

Sep 14, 2015
Elgin, IL
I inherited a 50 year old hybrid pool (fiberglass walls, concrete bottom), 20x40 and appx 40k gallons. The pool was neglected and we had a basement wall company come out and fill lateral cracks with epoxy and anchors 8 years ago. I’m guessing they formed because the pool leaked over a Chicago winter and sat empty, causing heaving.
Last November noticed the water level dropping significantly. Despite my efforts, it dropped past the side seams and into the concrete bottom section. it kept leaking until it was past the curb of the concret, but then seemed to fluctuate based on rain. I assumed it was a leak in the main drain, so I drained the rest of the water. Further tests have shown no leaks in the very bottom of the pool. Closer inspection I noticed these fine cracks in the prior repairs (see photo).
I’m hoping the crack repair company will honor their warranty, but it seemed iffy. How should I deal with these cracks in the epoxy repair? Also, if these cracks happened, what does that tell me about the futpure of this pool. I was considering a major rehab ( drain repairs, new coping, new deck) but if it’s and endless problem then maybe the money should go towards filling it in. So appreciate the advice in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 35
I inherited a 50 year old hybrid pool (fiberglass walls, concrete bottom), 20x40 and appx 40k gallons. The pool was neglected and we had a basement wall company come out and fill lateral cracks with epoxy and anchors 8 years ago. I’m guessing they formed because the pool leaked over a Chicago winter and sat empty, causing heaving.
Last November noticed the water level dropping significantly. Despite my efforts, it dropped past the side seams and into the concrete bottom section. it kept leaking until it was past the curb of the concret, but then seemed to fluctuate based on rain. I assumed it was a leak in the main drain, so I drained the rest of the water. Further tests have shown no leaks in the very bottom of the pool. Closer inspection I noticed these fine cracks in the prior repairs (see photo).
I’m hoping the crack repair company will honor their warranty, but it seemed iffy. How should I deal with these cracks in the epoxy repair? Also, if these cracks happened, what does that tell me about the futpure of this pool. I was considering a major rehab ( drain repairs, new coping, new deck) but if it’s and endless problem then maybe the money should go towards filling it in. So appreciate the advice in advance!
Are the cracks in the fiberglass or the concrete portion?

In the epoxy repairs made to the concrete. (Anything blue in the pic is painted concrete)
Everything I’ve read is that epoxy repairs aren’t very good. If the concrete is moving then epoxy isn’t going to stop it. You need to figure out why it’s cracking before repairing it.

when I rehabbed my pool 7-8 years ago, I had a number of cracks that needed repair. My solution was to open up and deepen the crack using an angle grinder with a diamond blade similar to this one then filing the crack with Vulkem 116 then topping that with something called precision grout (was a pain to use on the vertical surfaces because it wanted to slough out of the crack before setting) then grinding the grout flush with the surrounding surface of the pool before applying primer and paint.

IMG_4555.JPG

Has held up well through 7 Chicago winters so far.

when I rehabbed my pool 7-8 years ago, I had a number of cracks that needed repair. My solution was to open up and deepen the crack using an angle grinder with a diamond blade similar to this one then filing the crack with Vulkem 116 then topping that with something called precision grout (was a pain to use on the vertical surfaces because it wanted to slough out of the crack before setting) then grinding the grout flush with the surrounding surface of the pool before applying primer and paint.

View attachment 499887

Has held up well through 7 Chicago winters so far.
You have a paint that’s lasted 7 years? Would love to know more about that.

What do you want to know?

I used Olympic products after sandblasting to bare concrete.

Started with their water based primer to seal concrete then over topped that with their Gunzite high build primer to smooth out the surface then over topped that with Zeron.

I followed the instruction regarding curing time, re-coating time, etc. PRECISELY

Also, I have followed TFP guidelines for water quality so the paint has not been subject to abuse from unbalanced water, weird chemicals and other pool store black magic. :)

IMG_4694.JPG

Last edited:
What do you want to know?

I used Olympic products after sandblasting to bare concrete.

Started with their water based primer to seal concrete then over topped that with their Gunzite high build primer to smooth out the surface then over topped that with Zeron.

I followed the instruction regarding curing time, re-coating time, etc. PRECISELY

Also, I have followed TFP guidelines for water quality so the paint has not been subject to abuse from unbalanced water, weird chemicals and other pool store black magic. :)

View attachment 499896
That’s all the stuff I wanted to know. In the middle of a DIY refurb and studying plaster options and alternatives. Most of the paint options only last a couple years it seems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.