Perpetual summer

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
We had family over for a day of swimming, most had long hair to middle of back. I didn't think of it at the time and not sure how I would or should say something about hair ties or ponytails. While swimming I was picking gobs of hair off my fingers for 3 days. How does everyone address the issue of long loose hair? Do you say something or just let it go? I had two daughters and wife with long hair and sink and shower drains would completely stop-up with hair balls on a regular basis. Is this a possibility with pool equipment?
Most of us here are picky about our water and equipment. How do you people address this issue with guests with long hair or do you just let it Go and deal with it? I kind of find it discussing to pick hair off my fingers and out off the pool.

My family is all girls with long hair and I don't worry about it at all. There are far worse things to find in a pool.

I find that most of it will settle to the bottom in a clump where it is easily scooped out, anything else ends up in my skimmer sock.

If you use a skimmer sock it will catch the hair before it gets to the pump. Your skimmer sock can be the more expensive pool store skimmer sock, less expensive knee high stockings, or even less expensive hair nets .

As a long haired person myself, I prefer to clip it up and out of the way, but I know using hair ties can break weak, wet hair and some always comes out with the hair tie. That may make them reluctant to use hair ties.

Yes hair nets. And the pump on high to get maximum skimming while they swim would also assist with clearing the surface. My dogs present the same issue, though the hair is shorter.

Yes hair nets. And the pump on high to get maximum skimming while they swim would also assist with clearing the surface. My dogs present the same issue, though the hair is shorter.

So that brand new noobies aren't confused.... The hair nets are used in the skimmers. You might get strange looks from your guests if you ask them to wear the hair nets when swimming! :laughblue:

I had a good chuckle when I read this! I could see myself 2 years ago, thinking "Well, that's a little odd. Swim caps might be better, but to save money, I'll hand out hair nets. TFP never steers me wrong!" Ya'll could have had a lot of fun at my expense - you just didn't know how naive I can be!

After I've had guests in and later me swimming around with a mask, I'll see a ballet under the water of
a few long hairs dancing together.

It makes me laugh more than anything.

no big deal to me.

My sister in law once was all apologetic seeing sunscreen lotion oils on the surface.
(for her and her daughter) and apologized about it, but I don't care about that either.
Told her no worries. It is, what it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So that no brand new noobies aren't confused.... The hair nets are used in the skimmers. You might get strange looks from your guests if you ask them to wear the hair nets when swimming! :laughblue:

Well... I'm not gonna lie.... after a couple of the parties my fiancee threw last year with all her girlfriends over and the resulting hair I had to clean out of the skimmer and leaf canister, I gave serious consideration to putting a box of hair nets on the pool deck with a sign that said "rinse your feet, put on a hair net, don't pee in the pool." Hopefully the latter didn't have to be stated.

I use skimmer socks/hair nets in my skimmer and suction side cleaner's leaf canister and I wouldn't go back to not using them. They keep the crud from even reaching the pump basket so I rarely have to open the pump lid and they filter a lot of the sand and smaller particulates before they even get to my filter, which reduces my backwashing frequency.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.