Bob2010

May 30, 2023
Ontario
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My first slam on opening went fairly smooth (or so I thought), I passed all 3 criteria for 2 days so had let the SWG maintain FCL around 9 most times cya 40) covered pool unless swimming). (Plan to eventually raise to 60)

I tested everyday with tft smart stir. FCL always 7.5-10 range.

Didn’t use the pool for about 5 days (still tested everyday). Went in a couple days ago and the floor and walls were slippery. (I had not brushed the pool for 2 weeks but my Polaris robot is in there 3x per week for about 3 hours).

I started SLAM again after this. FC up to 16 brushed daily everything “feels” better. Decided to open up the light niches. Puff of powder like substance. I’m guessing algae. Scrubbed them out best I could.

Couple questions moving forward

1) I can’t leave the lights out of the pool for slam duration. I’ll try to open them up everyday for a couple days to brush and let water circulate. They are aqauscape so it’s a twist off to expose the niche. Should I try to get more concentrated dose of chlorine in there with a syringe for a quick brush or anything like that? Should I remove and brush in there as part of my weekly brushing from here on out given the ease of removing? Any harm in this? I’ve attached a couple pictures best I could do underwater if the niches. One had a bunch of black spots. I don’t think it’s algae. No amount of brushing or using my nail removes it. The 2nd had a yellowish stain would this be from mustard algae? Though I’ve not seen visible algae anywhere else in the pool and this stain won’t come out.

2) would this alone be responsible for my reslaming? I’m also going to clean my autocover and vault to cover all bases, but I’m really surprised that algae from these light niches would make it over the whole pool and walls even the opposite side of the pool and biofilm without a drop in my FC to minimum or below minimum.

Attachments

• 224BB11E-D6AC-452E-A9BA-306803B3F9BD.jpeg
    224BB11E-D6AC-452E-A9BA-306803B3F9BD.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 14
  • E28DEA6B-F17A-48E6-8859-06F14139C06E.jpeg
    E28DEA6B-F17A-48E6-8859-06F14139C06E.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 16
I don't know if the lights alone are responsible, but it's good you were able to clean them. You should not have to make that part of your weekly routine though. The cover, yes. Look it over closely. Do you have a main drain? If you do, check under the covers. No ladders or anything else submerged correct?

Hidden algae in light niches or other hidden areas not addressed previously coming back to bite is not uncommon. It looks like you have a flap of liner in there so be sure to scrub both sides of that. You can just put the lights back in after & should be good to go. Cleaning them out once or twice a season is usually sufficient. Give that cover a good scrub!
Let’s make sure you cover all the bases this time -
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I don't know if the lights alone are responsible, but it's good you were able to clean them. You should not have to make that part of your weekly routine though. The cover, yes. Look it over closely. Do you have a main drain? If you do, check under the covers. No ladders or anything else submerged correct?

Main drains yes. No other addons. I scrubbed down the skimmer and door as well.

I’m a little hesitant to open the drain. Pool is only a couple years old but I don’t want to create a leak or anything through the liner. That being said I’m not sure how the drain or covers work in terms of the assembly. Here’s a picture of that helps.

Attachments

• DAA99C33-9FF6-4C21-83A2-2463EB483696.jpeg
    DAA99C33-9FF6-4C21-83A2-2463EB483696.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Should just be able to remove the screws. Pump off. Two years old isn't a lot of time so thamey may not be the cause, but if you find nothing else you may have to check.
Is this just a faceplate? I just don’t want to unscrew anything that could cause issues with leaking etc. but I’m guessing underneath is the plate that’s screwed into the liner and pool similar to the lights?

Is this just a faceplate?
Yes, just a cover. The actual drain assembly is underneath, sealed into the pol shell or liner. Under the cover is the cavity which containers the actual drain port, hydrostatic valve, etc. The cover you would be removing is designed to prevent bulk materials from getting clogged in the drain suction port and for safety so that swimmers would not get stuck, although today's pools have dual drains connected to each other to help prevent that.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Is this just a faceplate? I just don’t want to unscrew anything that could cause issues with leaking etc. but I’m guessing underneath is the plate that’s screwed into the liner and pool similar to the lights?
Just turn the pump off first.

Thanks everyone for the help. Was able to get someone to do an oclt for me today and was 0 (15 and 15). Water is Crystal but I’m still noting what I think is dead algae near skimmer in the am. (See pic). Before there was more settling it’s less now but should I keep slamming until this stops appearing? Don’t see this settling anywhere else visibly.

Attachments

• 07140543-B076-473D-B35C-775163D611C6.jpeg
    07140543-B076-473D-B35C-775163D611C6.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks everyone for the help. Was able to get someone to do an oclt for me today and was 0 (15 and 15). Water is Crystal but I’m still noting what I think is dead algae near skimmer in the am. (See pic). Before there was more settling it’s less now but should I keep slamming until this stops appearing? Don’t see this settling anywhere else visibly.
Are referring to those 4 specs in the skimmer? If so, you’re done. Wrap it up and put a bow on it!

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are referring to those 4 specs in the skimmer? If so, you’re done. Wrap it up and put a bow on it!
Yes, when I started the SLAM I would see more of a line of this stuff collect in the crease there, but now its down to those few specs.

One last question should I backwash my sand filter once I end the SLAM? I didn't do that last SLAM though I'm not sure if that would be a reason for things to reappear. My filter pressure is up but not quite at the 2-3% range yet.

Yes, when I started the SLAM I would see more of a line of this stuff collect in the crease there, but now its down to those few specs.

One last question should I backwash my sand filter once I end the SLAM? I didn't do that last SLAM though I'm not sure if that would be a reason for things to reappear. My filter pressure is up but not quite at the 2-3% range yet.
Never hurts to backwash more except for the water loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.