Had a scare with SWG today!

BasicTek

Bronze Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
Last summer I got a Hayward aquarite Swimpure extreme SWG which comes with the t15 extended cell. Today I tested and my FC was .5. SWG was running at 20% for 3.5 hours which usually resulted in FC being too high this winter.

Anyway np threw a floater in with a couple pucks and cranked the SWG to max... At least that's what I thought.....

I checked the FC a couple hours later and it's still .5 (probably would have been 0 if not for the floater)

I check the SWG and it shows high salt, not producing. I restart it, check the cell (looks like new) reverse the cell, test the water with 1766 (3000) I even notice on the display when restarting the cell it shows on the Hayward the salt is 3000 then 20 seconds later goes offline showing red high salt. I'm at a loss....

I search the forum, check the manual, most troubleshooting I see for high salt indicates a high amp issue or actual high salt (I haven't added salt in 2 months and the 1766 confirmed not high or low)

So I take the cell to the pool store and test (perfect) as I expected, so what the heck? I make an apt for warranty service call.

I go back to the forum, searching high salt posts, and then google the diagnostic readings (which seemed ok except when the amps dropped to 0 as the cell stopped producing) I see a part where it says to check the cell size.

OK go to my diagnostics and the cell size has been changed from t15 to t3. BINGO! so a simple modification back to t15 and everything is good again.

I check what it takes to change the cell size. Someone would have to hit diagnostics 7 times then flip the switch to super chlorinate. I never ever use super chlorinate, my wife wouldn't dare touch the panel, and the default (if it lost memory or something, is t15). So I'm wondering how the heck did this setting get changed? Our pool and equipment is in a fenced backyard it's really hard for anyone to get in without leaving some signs that they opened the door. Apparently the only possible solution is that I must have (unconsciously done the sequence to change the cell size).

I couldn't find any other posts of the SWG getting changed by accident with high salt warning so I figured I'd post in case it comes up again...

Anyone ever have something like this happen?

This can happen if the display board is not making secure contact with the pins.

Other settings changes can also happen.

Removing and reinstalling the display board usually helps.

Thanks James, I did see some occasional flickering today after the restarts, I didn't install it and will probably need the installer to check it (to keep the warranty in tact) but it's good to know I might not be going insane or blacking out. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.