H400 IF error (another one)

Jun 4, 2009
Sullivan County, NY
I've read many other threads on the IF (or 1F) error, and I'm stumped.

This is a 2 year old heater that worked perfect last year.

It tries to start up, fans/vacuum appear to work, ignitor works (I changed it anyway, but I can feel it warm), but after several tries, the heater will not ignite and goes to IF.

To be clear, there is never any ignition nor do I smell any propane after the failed starts.

I opened the union just outside the heater and there appears to be plenty of gas.

So, if propane is getting to the heater's gas valve, and the ignitor is working and getting warm, but there is never any ignition, would I be right to conclude that gas is not getting to the flame tubes? If so, what do I do about that?

I checked that the quarter-turn valve switch on the gas value is in the ON position. It has this manual switch as well as 2 wires which, I assume, allows the control board to control the flow of gas.

With the gas valve leads disconnected from the gas value, I read 24VAC for a couple of seconds during the startup routine. But, with the leads connected to the gas value, I read only about 3VAC for those couple of seconds. Does this indicate the electric part of the gas valve, as well as the controller, are working?

Sure do need some help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
What exact model H400 heater are we discussing? Hayward has made a few different H400 heaters.

What is the level of your propane tank?

Do you hear the click of the gas valve opening?

@swamprat69 @1poolman1 may have ideas.

What exact model H400 heater are we discussing? Hayward has made a few different H400 heaters.

What is the level of your propane tank?

Do you hear the click of the gas valve opening?

@swamprat69 @1poolman1 may have ideas.

I have the W3H400FDP. Propane level is 750 gallons (out of 1000 gallon tank).

I hear clicking, but I don't know if it is coming from the gas valve.

So I took a 24V transformer, wired up some spade connectors, and powered the gas valve directly. No clicking. Confirmed 28vac getting to the gas valve. No sound whatsoever upon applying and removing voltage from the gas valve. Does that mean the gas valve is gone?

Thank you!

If the propane gas is on and you power the gas valve and don’t hear a click and smell gas it sounds like the gas valve is not opening.

Gas valves are not serviceable.

You can take a peek but it is dangerous to tamper with a gas valve.

Gas valves are not serviceable.

You can take a peek but it is dangerous to tamper with a gas valve.

I hear you loud and clear. I was thinking that the plastic cover probably just cover the ON/OFF manual and electric switch connections and removing the cover would not expose or open up the gas passageways. I have a new gas valve on order, but it will take a week, so I'm trying to get it running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hear you loud and clear. I was thinking that the plastic cover probably just cover the ON/OFF manual and electric switch connections and removing the cover would not expose or open up the gas passageways. I have a new gas valve on order, but it will take a week, so I'm trying to get it running.
You are sticking your nose into safety shutoff system design.

That isn't my intention at all. I simply thought that I would remove the cover and hopefully find a broken wire or something obvious and easy to fix that did not at all involve tampering with the safety features of the valve.
A gas valve that is opened should not be returned to service.