Bronze Supporter
Oct 6, 2016
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My gym has two pools, an indoor and an outdoor. I’ve been wanting to take a pool aerobics class but I’ve always been weary of public pools, hence the reason I built my own, and since I have been following this group my weariness has grown ten fold. I decided I would test the pool before I took a class. I stopped at the third test because I wasn’t sure how important the others were considering the results I already had:

FC: 3.5 (the water was murky too as I tested - weird. Mine is never like that).
CC: 2.5
PH: 7.2

I’m sad that I can’t do a class but also grossed out. What do you think about the results? Should I say something to the gym?

I do my physio and pool workouts in my own pool, so I understand completely your feelings. However, if the indoor pool in question has low-to-no CYA, then the FC level is adequate despite the high ccs. The high ccs come from bather byproducts in this case. While that makes the water not particularly nice and gives rise to issues like swimmers lung, it’s not necessarily a health hazard in terms of waterborne illness. If you are otherwise healthy and reasonably comfortable in the environment, don’t let this stop you from the opportunity of maintaining your mobility.

Alternately, you can hire a trainer to come to your own pool and set up a routine. That’s what I did - specifically with a physiotherapist. She feels my results were better because I am more compliant, doing my routine daily and keeping the water temp high.

In addition, for aerobic work, I also do aqua jogging with a belt and swim shoes.

Maybe in this case you can do a few sessions to get the routine down, then use your own pool ;)

However, if the indoor pool in question has low-to-no CYA, then the FC level is adequate despite the high ccs. The high ccs come from bather byproducts in this case. While that makes the water not particularly nice and gives rise to issues like swimmers lung, it’s not necessarily a health hazard in terms of waterborne illness.

Maybe in this case you can do a few sessions to get the routine down, then use your own pool ;)

Ok, that makes sense. I’ll just have to keep my head above water [emoji23]

Sadly, my pool doesn’t have a heater so if I choose to swim in it now it will be more like an ice bath (which I’m actually considering, I’ve been reading about cold water swimming). I can’t wait for summer!

Monopersulfate, it is a non-chlorine oxidizer, usually used in indoor pools to oxidize bather waste. Outdoor pools receive enough UV rays from the sun to accomplish this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.