Gunite shell

dphanes

Aug 19, 2020
NC
We had our gunite shell shot about a week ago and there are some significant color variations. What causes part of the shell to be a much lighter white color and other areas darker gray?

thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Nice looking pool! I would imagine moisture plays a part in that- are you wetting it down daily? Have they advised you to do that? Gunite by the way is not waterproof. That will come from your plaster finish.

Maddie :flower:

dphanes

Aug 19, 2020
NC
I am wetting it down. Wasn’t sure if the different colors were due to different water/cement ratios and if so is lighter concrete a higher or lower ratio

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Well lets ask someone who does this kinda of work- <paging @JamesW ....paging James.... consult needed stat> lol

Both areas you see as dark, I see as in the shade and against dirt which lets moisture remain close. But James will know if it is something else. Hopefully it isn't rebound or something....

Maddie

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
If its evenly dry the darker grey is richer in Portland. Looks like dampness is the color changer in your shell mainly. Looks like a nice shaping job to me