Gunite or fiberglass slide

Offduty

Apr 11, 2021
Texas
We are in the building process and they have started the slide. When we designed and purchased the pool in our contract it read that we were getting a fiberglass slide. we wanted a fiberglass slide because of the maintenance issues with a gunite slide. Just before our builder began the slide and grotto he called me and asked if we wanted a gunite slide and said he had to ask4B886562-461F-4BD5-996E-3D4DE6314C30.jpeg because we had fiberglass in the contract. I explained to him that we wanted the fiberglass slide that we paid for. Now that they are building the slide he is saying that he is going to lay fiberglass over the gunite and mold it and that will be a fiberglass slide. I know that is not what we paid for nor what we want. Has anyone ever heard of this process and how is this different than a normal gunite slide? Thank you for your help.

So, I’m not sure what he is saying is even possible. Unless he’s building the shape to hold a pre-formed fiberglass slide.

I, being the suspicious type, wonder if he is going to try and pass of some sort of coating as fiberglass.

I would call him and get him to give you details on what he is doing, and don’t let him do anything else until you are comfortable with what he is saying.

Thank you for your reply. It isn’t a preformed slide. We are meeting with him tomorrow to get details but what he has explained to me is that they are going to apply sheets of fiberglass over the concrete form. I can’t find anywhere that this has been done. I was wondering if any has ever even heard of anything like this.

Hes got part of the slide already free handed in the pic you posted. Pre made slides are pricey, amd the style you are doing from a grotto down the side cam run 10k premade. It's way cheaper for him to free form it amd glass it over. This cam be done and come out nice, can also be done in concrete amd be nice, the latter requires more water flow for friction. I will say that glassing it over is artwork, so unless he can show you a slide he has done this way amd you approve of it I would keep your guard up. This is an expensive add on as is your grotto, these details should have been hammered out pre build. Did you see any of his finished products or how did you finalize on this design?

Agree with @jimmythegreek . Can you see any premade slides he's done in the past from previous customers? That would help me to determine if hes qualified. As jimmy said, he's already got a slide formed.

Thank you for your replies. We were told it was going to be preformed in the beginning, but that was many months ago. The contract reads simply “fiberglass slide”. We are meeting with him today and will ask to see one that they have done this way before they proceed with the slide. I certainly appreciate all of your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.