Gunite - cold weather curing/strength

Redpop123

Feb 13, 2021
North Dallas TX
Pool Size
We are in North Dallas and the pool company poured the gunite on Saturday 2/6/21 and the temperature was in the 50's that evening into Sunday went down to a low of 35 for about 11 hours. It then stayed above 40 going into Monday evening and has progressively dropped into the 30's, 20’s and down to 16 degrees until today, which is day 8 since they initially poured the gunite. The gunite around the sides appears to be wet (darker) by itself and bottom of pool is whiteish.

What is the impact of this cold weather on the gunite?
Should we be watering today in 16 degree temps?
Thank You

Hey Redpop - looks like we're in the same boat. I live in North Dallas too and our gunite was poured on Thursday 2/4/21 and I've been nervous about only having 4 days of watering before the temps started dropping. From everything I've read (and confirmed with the PB), you don't need to water it below freezing as hydration stops. My plan is that next weekend once temps pick back up again, I'll start back watering again.

Hey Redpop - looks like we're in the same boat. I live in North Dallas too and our gunite was poured on Thursday 2/4/21 and I've been nervous about only having 4 days of watering before the temps started dropping. From everything I've read (and confirmed with the PB), you don't need to water it below freezing as hydration stops. My plan is that next weekend once temps pick back up again, I'll start back watering again.

thank you for your reply! Good to hear your feedback. Did your PB mention anything about gunite having less strength or getting damaged with the colder temps?

No, my PB pretty much just said we had a few good days and that the pool will be fine. I've been nervous and reading up like crazy and from what I can tell as long as it has at least 500 PSI of strength, it should be strong enough to deal with the cold weather. I believe that takes place in less than 24 hours typically. Will definitely let you know as we go along how mine does as well.

I wouldn't worry about that - mine collapsed quite a bit after the dig due to some rain. They basically pulled all of the fallen dirt out of it, reset some of the boards/guide wires and went on their way with steel and plumbing. They told me they would just fill back the dirt after the gunite cures. While these temperatures aren't something they're accustomed to, having shapes collapse a bit due to weather is.

How's your gunite shell holding up, @Redpop123? Earlier today, I dusted off snow since I knew temperatures were going to rise in the afternoon. They ended up reaching over 42F this afternoon and so I'm continuing my watering process. Things still look solid to me - no major cracks or anything so far as I can tell.

The PB did reach out yesterday and say that they're going to be behind for tile and coping. The note said that "It is too early at this point to determine when we will be able to resume this phase due to the condition of your gunite shell and weather factors." So, I'm assuming they'll send someone out to assess?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.