Grout Today Plaster Tomorrow? Cure time in heat

poolremodelnewbie

May 30, 2020
Los Angeles
The waterline and bond beam grout got put in this morning (laticrete permacolor). It says 72 hrs at 70 degrees till fill.). The plaster company wants to plaster tomorrow so It would likely fill tomorrow afternoon about 33 hours later. How problematic is this? It 88 degrees today and tomorrow. Im assuming that the heat may speed up the cure time. Please advise. Thanks

I don't think the air temperature will speed the cure time by that much.

If you want solid hard grout I would follow the Laticrete recommendations.

Thank you for this!
"There is a simple rule to follow when an installation is subjected to high temperatures: The 18º Rule – for every 18ºF above 70ºF (10ºC above 21ºC), portland cement and epoxy-based materials take half as long to cure."
So its 88 degrees which is 18 degrees over 70. Therefore, the grout will take 36 hours to cure. Is this correct?If so I will be close to the time. I am hoping that that is good enough as overnight the temp. goes down.

Can we fill only to below the waterline tile? That would cover all of the plaster but leave the grout to cure longer?

Yes, you can.

You cannot turn on your pump and get water filtering until the water is halfway up the skimmer mouth. But letting the water sit for 24 hours should not create a problem. Just brush often so plaster dust does not stick to the plaster and harden.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.