Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,

My pool is going on 6 years old and since original construction there have been 3 short strips of grout between tiles that were never filled with grout to the edge like all the other ones. The tiles are not loose at all. They've been like this since day 1 and not related to pool chemistry. CSI and pool chemistry have been monitored meticulously to TFP since we took over the pool about 4 years ago. Pool has been gorgeous all the time thanks to TFP. The small grout sections are on the outer edge of the bottom set of steps in the pool entrance. I've kept them clean by brushing with stiff brush and steel brush with minimum harshness to remove the debris that inevitably gets lodged in there. But I have unintentionally removed a little more grout each year and now they are getting about 1/4" deep. So now I'm planning to fix it right. The 3 strips are about 2' under water and they're really quite small about 4" each max. Based on my search here and on the net it looks like there are several waterproof grouts out there and all seem to work well. Here is my plan and I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions:

• Clean the groove with a hack saw blade and dental pick.
  • Pack it with trichlor to "sterilize" any lurking spores or hibernating algae
  • Flush with pressured water hose
  • Add bead of grout per instructions
I plan to do this with scuba tank to make it easier. I'll try to get photo's before and after for posting.

Chris

I would consider lowering the water level to uncover the affected area and then use standard grout and standard grout techniques. I am sure you would get a better color match and probably a better job technically, too.

Surely, less than $40.00 worth of water (and it's rainy season!:))

Dave,

I'd love to do it that way. Water costs would easily be worth it. But we've got an extremely high water table. We drilled a well and it was not very deep at all before we struck water plus there's a little lake behind our house. I remember they had a pump running continuously sucking water out from below the structure during construction. Don't think I'll float it but concerned about stress on piping connections. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Chris

they make a small hand saw with a head about the size of a razorblade that is for removing grout its texture is like a metal cutoff wheel for an angle grinder. tile stores have them and lowes does as well. makes quick work of what you are trying to do, hacksaw not needed. I would lower water level too just wait for some dryer weather. underwater repairs get sloppy and make a mess but they can be done

Folks,

Thanks so much for the info. It is all very helpful... I plan to do the deed this coming weekend.

Chris

Folks,

I got distracted with a few honey-do's, vacation, and then hurricane and lightning strike. But finally got this done last weekend, Photo's are shown below. I've got several really good videos but need to work on figuring out the best way to post them.

All in all this was pretty easy. Cleaning out the grout was easy with a grout saw as Jimmy mentioned above. For the very narrow parts I took half the blade off (it comes with 2 mounted side by side) I also used a box cutter blade for some of the cleaning. Mixing the putty was easy kneading in fingers. Here are my learning's:
  • May try latex gloves next time
  • Apply much less at a time than I thought was needed. I ended up spending more time removing excess putty than any other step
  • Be sure to press the material in real well so it goes all the way into the crack
  • I had plenty of time to work with the material. Spent about 15 min working with the putty under water.
  • Doing this with just a snorkel would be very difficult. Not enough time and buoyancy just wouldn't work. With the dive gear I over-weighted and it was easy.
Thanks to all for the suggestions before I started this, they really helped a lot!

I hope this helps. I'll update with video links when I figure it out.

Chris

Attachments

• Cleaning grout .JPG
    Cleaning grout .JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Cleaning grout 3.JPG
    Cleaning grout 3.JPG
    365.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Finished photo.JPG
    Finished photo.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Finished photo3.JPG
    Finished photo3.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"Oops, something went wrong".
Thanks for letting me know. Looks like I have to activate my Live Streaming... takes 24 hours. Wish this was simpler. this seems way more complicated than it needs to be for simple videos! I'll try again tomorrow.

Maybe there's a better way than YouTube?

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.