Grout/Mortar between waterline and coping

JBetteridge

Bronze Supporter
Aug 16, 2021
Connecticut
Hello,
I’m a new member to the Forum…it’s been extremely helpful and I’m looking forward to being able to assist as my pool knowledge grows. My wife and I bought a house in CT during the winter months and discovered the Gunite pool needs a bunch of work (we had figured it would). The waterline tiles need to be replaced (see pics) and I was wondering about the grout/mortar between the tiles and the coping…it is about an 1” wide and seems to be really inflexible versus what I thought for coping movement etc…should I replace this with something more flexible or have bigger tiles that close the gap to the coping (they are 6x6)? Any guidance would be helpful…thanks!3AD2C6FF-6C19-4600-A501-8128D5389DD2.jpegB10F0D9F-00D7-4BAA-BF59-14C8C21A286E.jpeg9C2AC815-9796-418C-9675-6C1BF2D1E1C7.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

First thing you have to understand is the construction of your pool, coping, and deck and where the expansion joint is. The coping may be part of the pool structure and then should be rigidly attached to the bond beam. Or the coping may be cantilevered over the pool bond beam.

Read…

Reactions: JBetteridge
Welcome to TFP.

First thing you have to understand is the construction of your pool, coping, and deck and where the expansion joint is. The coping may be part of the pool structure and then should be rigidly attached to the bond beam. Or the coping may be cantilevered over the pool bond beam.

Read…
Thank you! I'll read up more on this...they are granite pieces that are attached to the bond beam directly...I appreciate the direction

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.