Ground prep questions for AGP

Pooledout

Jun 26, 2021
Connecticut
Pool Size
Moved from here .. Help with ground prep questions

I am in the process of leveling the ground for my pool. 24x12 intex.
Questions from above post.
1.what is crusher stone? Is there another terminology for it? I live 5 minutes from a stone quarry and I would like to use that for a base
2. What type of foam are you using and where did you buy it?
I was thinking of using the large insulation sheets that Home Depot sells, they appear to be like foam. I think they are 4x8
Thank you for any information you can share

Where I live it’s called Crusher run or road bond, but it’s really just gravel with a lot of dusty dirty sandy like stuff mixed in. Used for creating a hard bed for driveways and stuff. I’m not sure why anyone would put gravel under a pool. Maybe that should be clarified. The kind of foam board they refer to is extruded polystyrene I believe. Like Owens Corning pink at H-D or the green stuff from Lowe’s. I have the thing sheets under my pool and on the walls. I have like 4 inches of sand under that so I just used the thin for smoothing.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If local hardware stores are out of the XPS panels, Gorilla Pads are another favorite (online).

full

Reactions: Mdragger88
As long as you dig down your high spots and are putting your pool on undisturbed ground, you don't need crusher stone. I believe people use that when they, for whatever reason, have to build up their area. It's far better to dig down to level, and only build up if you have absolutely no other option.

The foam is used just because it feels good and can smooth out the bottom. It's not necessary, but it does feel nice. I have used sand and I have used foam. I like the foam better, but that's only because it feels better to me. And yes, it the big sheets from Lowes or Home Depot. Get the extruded (XPS) and not the expanded (EPS).
Good luck with your install!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.