Ground Prep for Intex

Apr 6, 2018
Brookland/AR
After leveling the ground, is it common to add something around the perimeter to keep the sand in such as the plastic landscaping edging or landscaping bricks, or does the sand just get spread across the site evenly and level and it stays in place good after compacting manually and with the pressure of the pool’s weight? Also, if there is about a 4” drop on one side of the site, does this ever cause any problems in the future or is there something to do for that as well?This is my first pool so I’m trying to get everything right. Thanks!

I didn’t add any edging, but my yard is fairly flat. You want your prepared area to extend a bit beyond the pool’s diameter.

Not sure what you mean by 4” drop off... do you have a photo?

If you do choose to put something around perimeter, be careful about using something too close to the liner that may cause wear and tear.

I've seen people build a type of sand box with 2x4's or posts to keep the sand in. I didn't put sand under my intex. After leveling the ground I used foam boards under it to cushion and a tarp. We get a lot of rain at times and I was worried about sand washing out.

Not sure what you mean by a 4" drop on one side of the site. I suppose as long as it's not under the pool or right up to the edge, then it'd be okay, but again, not exactly sure what you mean.

The 4” drop I’m referring to is how far I had to dig on the high side to get it level to the lowest side. Therefore there is a 4” tall wall on one side of my pool site. Sorry for the confusion and lack of description. I hope this helps explain what I meant. What I’m asking is should I add some sort of protection for the sand washing out on the outermost perimeter of my area (not under the pool, but the total area that I went past the width of the pool) and to pretty much brace the wall of the area where there is the drop off from where I leveled the area.

Ah!

I don’t think the tall side is going to affect the pool, other than possibly piling up on that side. But, you could put some edging up if you are concerned.

Yes, don't use sand, it clearly says this in the install instructions..no sand base, it must be on level un-distrubed ground, or get the ground as level as possible and then use road base "fines" you can compact and level that and it will stay in place, then use poly styrene on top of that, then your tarp and then the pool, I would use pavers under each leg, did mine like this and it has not moved in 2 years :) P.S. check out my video in the link below.

Reactions: Tweety777
When they say no sand base they are referring to on a beach, or an area which you have filled and leveled with sand.

A 1-2 inch later if compacted sand to smooth out the area you dug down to level is a perfectly fine base for an intex pool. This type of sand base does not need edging top hold sand in place.

Intex doesn't want you to dump a truck load of sand down, rake it level, and put you pool down on top of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exactly, CJ. I have a 2 inch layer of sand under mine right now.

- - - Updated - - -

i actually put some plastic edging around my pool. i attached the edging to the legs with zip ties. then i came out about 8" and placed some more of the plastic edging and i filled that in with some rubber mulch. just reallly did that to make it look a little cleaner.

I just bought edging today to do the same thing! I’m going to use rocks though... my dogs think mulch is edible.

We did the box, with 4x4 posts =) (had to cover a 1935's concrete patio half buried in the yard)
16-sand-box-base

We did put pavers under ALL the legs for stability (even with the sand)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.