Ground prep for 12'×24'×52" Ultra XTR Rectangle

Doja

May 13, 2020
Riverbank
Hello all,
I'm looking for an opinion on how to do my ground preparation for my backyard, its 15.79' W ×34.33' L . And the pool is 12'×24', i was thinking of making a frame to put into the ground by putting a trench and covering it with the same dirt then level it with a laser level and I don't know what kind of equipment to rent to help get the high side of the dirt to level it. And I'm thinking of putting foam insulation and cover it with rubber then the pool tarp and pool on top. I hear a lot of these say to put pavers for the support or wood, so that's the way I'll go. But should I level out the entire area even where the pavers will go?

I think you will want to level the whole area, even where the pavers go. This thread might help you get an idea of how the pool will sit once it is up and filled.

I think you will want to level the whole area, even where the pavers go. This thread might help you get an idea of how the pool will sit once it is up and filled.
He gave me great advice. Be sure that if you go with the pavers to get the really thick ones. We got the regular ones and we had to drain our pool, buy the thicker pavers, re level them, and are in the process of filling our pool back up because a bunch of them cracked!

Happy to help, I'm not as experienced as some of the other guys and gals here but this pool is in my wheel house. Please feel free to post any more questions you may have. Good luck, hope you enjoy your pool as mus as we do. Here is an inspirational picture of my girls from tonight, this is what its all about!!

Attachments

• 20200515_193120.jpg
    20200515_193120.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Charlietails
If you are going to build a frame on the ground for a level pad for the pool, don't use dirt. Fill it with layers of crusher or decomposed granite, and compact it well between each layer. That will give you a solid foundation for your pool.

Reactions: sammckin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Happy to help, I'm not as experienced as some of the other guys and gals here but this pool is in my wheel house. Please feel free to post any more questions you may have. Good luck, hope you enjoy your pool as mus as we do. Here is an inspirational picture of my girls from tonight, this is what its all about!!

We are in the end stages of leveling out the ground for am 18x9 rectangular intex pool and we are getting tripped up on a few of these final steps. We are planning to level the footings with ground, but we have seen some pool build just place them on top of the soil and not level them down....any feedback on that? We are also really torn about using a layer of foam insulation underneath because we don't know how to navigate the impact that an added layer of foam will have on our leveling. Our thought is, if we get the entire thing level, add foam and that sits on top and is level, but the footings cannot rest on top of the foam, they must rest on the ground, then did we just mess everything up? I appreciate ANY feedback!

We are in the end stages of leveling out the ground for am 18x9 rectangular intex pool and we are getting tripped up on a few of these final steps. We are planning to level the footings with ground, but we have seen some pool build just place them on top of the soil and not level them down....any feedback on that? We are also really torn about using a layer of foam insulation underneath because we don't know how to navigate the impact that an added layer of foam will have on our leveling. Our thought is, if we get the entire thing level, add foam and that sits on top and is level, but the footings cannot rest on top of the foam, they must rest on the ground, then did we just mess everything up? I appreciate ANY feedback!
Your pavers need to sit on solid, undisturbed ground. Pool floor must be flush with tops of pavers. I got my base all leveled and compacted then dug out for the pavers, they all sit out the pool floor so the digging didn't affect it. If you're going to use foam just leave your paver above the base level the same thickness as your foam. Once your get a couple pavers set it starts to go quickly, I ot my first on in and used a water level to set the height of the rest. Crusher or patio stone base and tamper to adjust height as needed.

Your pavers need to sit on solid, undisturbed ground. Pool floor must be flush with tops of pavers. I got my base all leveled and compacted then dug out for the pavers, they all sit out the pool floor so the digging didn't affect it. If you're going to use foam just leave your paver above the base level the same thickness as your foam. Once your get a couple pavers set it starts to go quickly, I ot my first on in and used a water level to set the height of the rest. Crusher or patio stone base and tamper to adjust height as needed.

Thanks for your speedy response! Another question for ya: We purchased a gorilla pad - our plan was to layer in the following order - tarp that came with intex, gorilla pad, foam. Are we thinking straight? And finally, is there something you wish you would have known or something you would have done differently looking back? Thanks again.

Thanks for your speedy response! Another question for ya: We purchased a gorilla pad - our plan was to layer in the following order - tarp that came with intex, gorilla pad, foam. Are we thinking straight? And finally, is there something you wish you would have known or something you would have done differently looking back? Thanks again.
I did base, foam, tarp. Wish I hadn't bothered with the tarp, its shredded already. I'd go gorilla pad then foam the a heavy tarp of you want. The tarp that comes with the kit is cheap.

What size pavers did you use?

Yeah, I'm trying to find 4" pavers too...the Home Depot link above does not have those pavers in my area (or anywhere within 100 miles). I haven't been able to find any size large 4" block. Looking around for 'trailer pad' blocks, but haven't found them anywhere yet either.

I did find these 8x16x4 blocks at Lowe's (note that the actual dimensions are minus 3/8"). They don't look particularly strong, but would it be OK to use 2 of these and have the seam between them run perpendicular to the leg?

Speaking of which, does anyone know the width of the base of the U Legs for this pool (mine is still in the box)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.