grit in the pool

keighley59

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2020
Essex, UK
Hi all, I've searched everything I can on here & couldn't find an answer. Sorry if been asked before.

My problem is that when I vacuum the pool, some of the grit in the pool isn't sucked up via the vacuum. I have x2 questions:

1) How can I get this grit out?
2) Do I need the filter sand changed and fingers checked to stop the grit getting into the pool in the first place?

PS - is my signature ok?

btw - I can't thank TFP enough from going from no knowledge of maintaining a pool to compliments on how clean and sparkling the pool is. Pool Math is king. Mountains to learn still.

Rob

Hello Rob and welcome! :wave: So about the grit, if it moves around and you can feel it, then it sounds like it's filter sand unless you have something else in the area that could be blown into the water. So if we assume it's sand, it's most likely because of something wrong in the filter. Either one or more of the laterals have damage or became disconnected, or perhaps the hub assembly at the bottom where it all connects. There's no way to know without emptying the filter and checking closely.

The sand, if it was the right type to begin with (#20 silica pool sand) doesn't go bad or get worn out. Sand can be compromised by certain pool store gels like floc or clarifier, but that's not your issue. So if you pull the sand out, just save it.

So if the grit (assuming it's sand) is on the pool floor, you should be able to just vacuum it back up to the filter where it belongs. If this grit is stuck to the vinyl, then it may be something else completely at which point we'll need to re-group and look at other issues.

Hello Rob and welcome! :wave: So about the grit, if it moves around and you can feel it, then it sounds like it's filter sand unless you have something else in the area that could be blown into the water. So if we assume it's sand, it's most likely because of something wrong in the filter. Either one or more of the laterals have damage or became disconnected, or perhaps the hub assembly at the bottom where it all connects. There's no way to know without emptying the filter and checking closely.

The sand, if it was the right type to begin with (#20 silica pool sand) doesn't go bad or get worn out. Sand can be compromised by certain pool store gels like floc or clarifier, but that's not your issue. So if you pull the sand out, just save it.

So if the grit (assuming it's sand) is on the pool floor, you should be able to just vacuum it back up to the filter where it belongs. If this grit is stuck to the vinyl, then it may be something else completely at which point we'll need to re-group and look at other issues.
Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to get someone to look at the filter.

Thanks again, really appreciated .... Rob

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.