Green tint

Jul 5, 2018
South Louisiana
I dumped and refilled my pool last weekend, and daily testing and chlorine has kept my water clear, but there's an annoying green tint.

I just went out and ran a full test:
  • CYA: 80 (Yes, this is high; I'll need to dump/fill)
  • FC: 3.0 | CC: 0.5 | TC: 3.5 (from FAS/DPD)
  • TC: 5 (from K-1000, but idk, 3 and 5 look so similar)
  • pH: 7.8
  • TA: 170
What can I do about the color?

Any chance of a picture?
Clear and green normally implies iron. Or possibly copper.
Have you added any products in the past with 'Blue' in their name? Do your household plumbing fixtures get stained from iron?

Any chance of a picture?
Hmm, it doesn't look green in the pic:

a3o8pWUl.jpg

I see some light green on the far side. Is that what you are speaking of? Any response to the other questions?

Just re-read first post - you dumped and refilled pool last weekend and now your CYA is 80??? How??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm using the volume from the box, 6423 gallons, but maybe my pool doesn't quite hold that amount? And I guess I didn't quite fill it, and it hasn't rained since then, so I need to add some water anyway. I targeted a CYA of 60 since it's sunny and hot, and I measured 70 on 5/27.

So you drained a small amount of water and refilled trying to hit you CYA goal. That makes more sense.

I’m in Indiana and our fill water had an annoying green tint too. I added a metal out product but that did not help. Took a sample to the pool store and it tested free of metals. I continued to adjust the TA, PH and CL and eventually (like 2 weeks) all the color went away. Keep maintaining your proper chem levels and good luck.

I’m in Indiana and our fill water had an annoying green tint too. I added a metal out product but that did not help. Took a sample to the pool store and it tested free of metals. I continued to adjust the TA, PH and CL and eventually (like 2 weeks) all the color went away. Keep maintaining your proper chem levels and good luck.
Thanks! Maybe I just need to wait. Do I need to adjust my TA? TFP says not to lower it unless you have a good reason.

My TA was sky high and my PH was too. I adjusted PH down with dry acid and aerated PH up and repeated until my PH held stable. My TA is down to 130 from 400 and my PH is holding 7.5, so I’m leaving it alone now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.