Green Swamp. Thought i read enough to know how to handle. Apparently not!

Jul 9, 2013
I cleaned everything off the bottom yesterday circulated the water to skim it and took these measurements yesterday

FC=0
CC=0
TA=140
PH = Purple off the chart

CYA= estimated at 10 based on clouded up but not blocking dot ( read that in a recent forum post)

just circulating water no cartridge or DE. Filter plugs up right away and you cant bump this one
Wanted to fix PH, CYA and Then add chlorine

Added 6 quarts of 20 Baume Muratic acid and probably 3 quarts of 10 baum.

PH has not budge
TA has crashed to 10 : update: tested again: 30

I did get CYA up to pretty cloudy at 20.

estimated 18,400 gallons

What am i doing wrong.

Thanks

Last edited:
Keep dealing with that pH first and foremost, and go buy a large bag of Arm and Hammer baking soda from Walmart (big bag, like 7 pound size) and using Pool Math get the right amount of baking soda in there and mix well.

Give it 30 minutes and retest that pH and TA.

While you wait you want to fix up some CYA in a sock to take you up to 30ppm. Either hang the sock over the side from a pole in front of a return, or slip it into the skimmer as long as it doesn't impede flow of water. If you use the skimmer way keep the pump running until its all dissolved.

Then next, as soon as you have that CYA hung out.... get some bleach in there pronto! Again keep using PoolMath and your Test Kit to tweak everything.

PoolMath

Maddie :flower:

John:

Welcome to TFP. Donaldson is accurate in his statements about TA. Unless you had testing error, but not wiping the tip of the reagent bottle, you could have not gone from 140 to 30 with the acid additions. It took me all summer long to lower the TA from 120 to 90 and I added 16 oz. almost every 4 days. It is possible that you have high TA and this is what contributed to the high PH. Do you have any spillover spas, waterfalls, aeration jets, etc?

I would forget about TA right now and work with 1/2 gallon and then retest. A lot has to do with the circulation in your pool. When I had my rising PH issue, it took about 2 hours of mixing before I saw results.

just circulating water no cartridge or DE. Filter plugs up right away and you cant bump this one

Are you stating that your filter pressure increases dramatically? How is your pool water? Clear, Cloudy, Green? Please keep us posted!

Yes, grab some more muriatic acid. 2-3 gallons should be fine for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes it's the right reagent it says phenol on it No waterfalls or anything just an above ground pool. Maybe my Ta test is invalid. Getting more acid right now

- - - Updated - - -

On aeration the return is aerating quite a bit

Just got back from Lowes and Wallymart.. 3 more gallons of Muratic Acid. 36 pound of baking soda (for later).
To recap where i am at since is was trying to keep up with this via mobile phone.

Pump running with now cartridge media installed and no DE.
just circulating , vacuumed to waste the bottom after leaf bag scooping. and let the skimmer get the floating debris.
Ph was off he chart high from beginning
Add 2.5 gallons of 20 baume and 3/4 gallon of 10 baume .
Never any signs of chlorine
TA was i believed to be 140 now 30
CYA Was estimated at 10 to 15 now 20 ( 2 more cups CYA added in sock in front of return just hours ago) shooting for 30
PH has not budged.
I just added 1/2 gallon 20 baume acid
no special features of the pool . no special aeration.
I am using the right reagent
pool is green. clogs de filter up rapidly (that's why i am just circulating till i get CYA and PH right) no bump on this model disassemble and wash cartridge

return jet is throwing some water above the surface
attaching pics of reagent and PH, Return jet action and general look of water
All chemicals arrived last week from TFStestkits.
I have used the TSF kit for 3 years . I really think the TA was 140
If the answer is just keep adding acid then i can do that. I was just worried i was on the wrong path. seemed like alot so far.
the TA was 10 and now 30 was me distracted, i think i saw he red flash in the tube and stopped counting, not that 3 drops is much highercolor of pool.jpg

Thanks for all the help.skimmer action.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

PH with reageant won upload says over quota ?
it is R-0014

That last Half Gallon did it !!

A bit too much , its about the yellow of the chlorine 2-4 scale

Will the amount of aeration the return is doing bring it up enough?

- - - Updated - - -

I am unfortunately going to have to stop for tonight, hopefully the cya will be up to 30 and then maybe the PH will bump a bit up.
its now a yellow on the chlorine 2-4 scale

- - - Updated - - -

sorry getting used to posting, id meant to double up

I had time for 2 tests before work

Here is the PH PH now yellow.jpg
I am thinking 6.6?
TA =10 ( i tested it twice)
Let me know what you think the PH is and i can adjust up from there. Lots of charts on the internet, not all say same thing for PH and Phenol Red.
I am thinking get the PH closer to 7.5 before worrying about TA since a higher TA would require more of anything to swing it?
I was told i might have to take the Family camping this weekend, but i can work on the PH and TA a bit and SLAM Sunday
Thanks for all the feedback and help and again , i swear i will get help with the cover next year. That's what caused all of this , the cover dumped.
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.