Green swamp frustration

Sep 22, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, hope everyone is well. I know the rules of forum, but forgive me if I break one. Bought my house with pool two years ago. It has been a headache ever since. Blue one day, green the next. I haven’t updated my test kit yet, because I’ve had several “professionals” struggling with it. Long story longer, all of them gave up, because they couldn’t keep it clear. My suction line began losing pressure little by little. I began to dig between skimmer and pump. Low and behold, a hairline crack in ABS intake. I know it should be PVC, but it’s an old pool. The quote to change the line was astronomical. They will “patch” it in two weeks. Readings on my old kit are all over the place, except consistent high Ph antd low FC. Pump working great with water filled trench around. Company wants me to chlorinate the heck out of my swamp until repair is done. Probably a dumb question, but just continuous bleach, or another method? Very green, but don’t wanna waste a bunch of chemicals. They gave me no direction. They said they would stabilize the pool once line fixed. Have suggested kit on the way. I grew up with a pond, I’d appreciate any advice! Thanks, sorry for rant;)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Why do you keep paying someone to maintain the pool chemistry when it is clear that they are not doing that job?

Even without a pump working, you can keep the algae at bay but maintaining the proper FC levels for your CYA level, see the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

We can certainly teach you to maintain your own pool, and save a lot of money I bet, but trying to mix our advice with their methods is bound for failure.

You can just add bleach, but there is no telling how much is needed until you have a good CYA value.

To clear up the pool, you simply need to follow the SLAM Process process ... but to do that you need one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Jason, thanks for response! I agree, I’m a do it your self kinda guy, but no matter what I did, it fluctuated wildly. I follow this site regularly. Had suggested kit once upon a time. Guess pool guy took it. With old Taylor kit, I’m getting a PH of 8.4, TC of 5, and CYA test not registering, totally clear. Until I get get good kit no way to test FC. It does instantly turn yellow with first drop. Just wait for new test kit, and let filter run?

Sounds like you TC is likely pretty high right now ... and who knows about the CYA. If the CYA is really 0, I would expect all your chlorine to be lost to either the organics or the sun everyday.

When you were maintaining it yourself, were you adding chlorine every day and making sure it was never below the minimum for your CYA level? If so, it would not turn green, ever, and certainly not in 1 day.

Can't do much without good valid test results.

Yes sir, but it would not stay consistent. On a side note, had some foundation issues, which have been repaired. I believe that is what cracked skimmer line. It certainly cracked my deck. It would only turn green when it rained. Maybe, the pipe fix, and a solid kit will keep it blue. One last thought, no matter what I did, TA was always in the normal, but Ph usually in the 8’s. I’ll keep y’all posted. Thanks for response.

Not uncommon for the pH to rise, just keep it in the 7s with muriatic acid.
But the pH, nor the rain, would make your pool green ... only a lack of sufficient chlorine will allow the algae to grow.

Hello everyone. My pool is finally blue, but cloudy. I’ve been brushing the heck out of it though. pH is 6.9, FC is 3, but finally holding. CYA is around 15, and not really fluctuating. Haven’t done overnight test, but will tonight. I’ve fixed my leak, well for the most part. TA is 72. Do I wait til tomorrow, or add stabilizer, baking soda, borax, or just wait? Maybe SLAM it tonight? Thanks in advance!
Brent

These are the results from your new test kit? What type of kit is it?

FC 3
CC
PH 6.9
TA 72
CH
CYA 15

You need to round up your CYA, so it is 20. You should add more using the sock method to get it to 30, and at same time, begin your SLAM. Use 12 as your FC target, according to this chart.

Thanks.
CC 12
TH 210
I’m still waiting on new dang kit. Mine doesn’t have the FAS-DPD capability. I’ll post better results when I get it on Monday. Just leaving for a few days, and don’t want to start process over. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

CH 210

Ok, so wait to start SLAM until new kit comes, and add liquid chlorine daily. Use Pool Math to tell you how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, if you trust that CYA number. Maybe add half of what Pool Math says, so you don’t go over. Don’t dump directly in skimmer! You know the sock method?

Yes ma’am, I know the method, I’ve just never tried it before. I only trust the number because my kit and neighbor’s kit came up with same results. They’re having a similar problem. I’ll post more accurate results soon. Thank you!

Wow... you are right, Jason, I didn’t notice the CC. BP, where are you getting CC from, since you don’t have the FAS-DPD kit yet?

Thanks y’all, CC was an approximation from an Old Taylor kit. Waiting on the k6000. Long story, and an order foul up. Last night, I added 2lbs of granular trichlor with stabilizer, and a pound of baking soda. This morning with old kit and strips CC was still about 12 and FC about 4. Aprroximations of course. pH, TA, and CYA still about the same. Weird thing is, pool is blue and clear as can be. Keep running filter and wait til kit gets here on Thursday? Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add, all levels were the same, except sun had eaten all chlorine. Still looks good though.

Hi everyone. I finally got my Taylor 2006K kit. Pool is “clear”, but slightly green.
FC 7.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 250
CYA 0

I used sock for CYA distribution according to recommendations. Running my filter constantly, and changing cartridges regularly. We had a decent rain last night. I put a gallon of bleach in before bed. It was sparkling blue days ago, even with no CYA. I’d appreciate any advice. More CYA? Thanks in advance.
B

Hi everyone. I finally got my Taylor 2006K kit. Pool is “clear”, but slightly green.
FC 7.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 110
CH 250
CYA 0

I used sock for CYA distribution according to recommendations. Running my filter constantly, and changing cartridges regularly. We had a decent rain last night. I put a gallon of bleach in before bed. It was sparkling blue days ago, even with no CYA. I’d appreciate any advice. More CYA? Thanks in advance.
B

How long has has it been since goaded CYA and how much?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.