Green sight glass

Jun 19, 2010
NE Oklahoma
I just noticed today that my sight glass is green. I back washed for several minutes and observed clear water moving in the glass. It appears that the green “stuff” is on the inside glass not in the water. Is there a way to remove the glass for cleaning?

Thank you. I was able to remove it and clean it out. I backwashed and shocked the pool then 2 weeks later the sight glass is green again. Doing some research here.
Judging by your verbiage, specifically "shocked the pool" I think perhaps you might not be keeping your water up to TFPC spec? If that's the case the sight glass might be acting as the canary warning you that something is growing in the water.

I don't agree. The backwash side where the site glass sits will not be seeing the high chlorine water. It will only get wet when backwashing and then will sit damp with stale water. Perfect for algae growth.

Judging by your verbiage, specifically "shocked the pool" I think perhaps you might not be keeping your water up to TFPC spec? If that's the case the sight glass might be acting as the canary warning you that something is growing in the water.
Thank you Donaldson for your reply. I previously shocked to shock level and not mustard algae level. I plan on using the mustard algae formula today.

Are you familiar with the SLAM Process? While this may not have anything to do with the sight glass issue, any organics issue in the bulk water should be treated by raising the FC level and keeping it there per the process. NOT by raising it higher and higher. Whatever the issue here is, it isn't mustard algae and there's no reason to be taking your chlorine level that high.

Reactions: jblizzle
Are you familiar with the SLAM Process? While this may not have anything to do with the sight glass issue, any organics issue in the bulk water should be treated by raising the FC level and keeping it there per the process. NOT by raising it higher and higher. Whatever the issue here is, it isn't mustard algae and there's no reason to be taking your chlorine level that high.
Oh okay. Thank you for explaining. But how can you be sure it isn’t mustard algae? I will go ahead and SLAM today. I appreciate so much your help and guidance. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.