Green Pool Syndrome

Jun 11, 2016
statesboro, ga
While I do not hate my SWG and am using the Water Balance for SWG found on TFP. It seems that everyday I add 4.5 ( 36 oz) cups bleach. I have been told that my IC20 is to small for my 17,100 gal pool. I had no trouble last year. the only difference this year is that I had "green pool" syndrome. which I cleared up, finally (that's another story).

I am looking at a floating system but have not idea which one to get and how many pucks to use or how often to refill it. So far I have read several stories most of which make no sense. Every day I test my FC, TC even after adding the bleach it is always 3.

fc = 3
tc = 3
ph = 8

ta 90

cya 80

WBS numbers:

FC 4-6
Ph 7.5 - 7.8
TA 60 - 80
CYA 70 - 80

Could the "green pool syndrome" cause the SWG to malfunction.

thanks

Re: Hate my SWG system. What should I replace it with?

Thanks. If (and that's a big IF) I replace my SWG parts, I'll try a larger cell and a higher cya level. Good info.

For your reference.....My pool is 30,000 gallons. I have the Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 cell (manufacturer rated for 40,000 gallons). With CYA at 80, I need to run cell 9 hours/day (10am-7pm) at 100% duty cycle to keep FC at about 6ppm. My pool is also in full sun most of day, in West-Central Florida.

I wish I had the IC60 cell (2x my pool volume), but the IC40 is what the PB installed before I new better! When the IC40 is depleted I'll replace with a IC60.

Honestly I think the SWG is probably undersized for your pool. You have 30K so you should have a chlorinator that can do 60K or maybe 2 chlorinators inline. I personally wouldn't give up on the salt chlorinator as lugging chlorine around and taking a chance damaging the car, clothes, anything else the bleach touches just isn't worth it. Plus the salt generator is very convenient when it works.

While I do not hate my SWG and am using the Water Balance for SWG found on TFP. It seems that everyday I add 4.5 ( 36 oz) cups bleach. I have been told that my IC20 is to small for my 17,100 gal pool. I had no trouble last year. the only difference this year is that I had "green pool" syndrome. which I cleared up, finally (that's another story).

I am looking at a floating system but have not idea which one to get and how many pucks to use or how often to refill it. So far I have read several stories most of which make no sense. Every day I test my FC, TC even after adding the bleach it is always 3.

How often do you want to drain half your pool due to high CYA? He will be adding at least 10 ppm per week of CYA to your pool with pucks.

How old is your SWG?

Tell us about your green pool, how you fixed it and how you knew you had it all cleaned up.

fc = 3
tc = 3
ph = 8

ta 90

cya 80

WBS numbers:

FC 4-6
Ph 7.5 - 7.8
TA 60 - 80
CYA 70 - 80

thanks

I have a swcg and I need to shock or SLAM the pool at the beginning of the season to really clean things up (get rid of any algae or organics). I use a shock called Zappit 73, cal-hypo and target my FC for 10ppm. Keep an eye on it for a few days and add more shock if necessary. You can do the same with bleach. This makes a huge difference as most SWCGs aren't able to inject this amount of chlorine, at least with my pool. By relying on the SWCG your using an underpowered weapon to get your water cleaned up and clear.

This approach is a lot more effective. I used to wait patiently for weeks for my SWCG to slowly process all the organics. It was a slow process.

After that, use the SWCG to maintain the level you want (ie. 4ppm).

Also, how old is your cell? When did you clean it with muriatic acid last? If you look at the fins does it have scale?

I have a swcg and I need to shock or SLAM the pool at the beginning of the season to really clean things up (get rid of any algae or organics). I use a shock called Zappit 73, cal-hypo and target my FC for 10ppm. Keep an eye on it for a few days and add more shock if necessary. You can do the same with bleach. This makes a huge difference as most SWCGs aren't able to inject this amount of chlorine, at least with my pool. By relying on the SWCG your using an underpowered weapon to get your water cleaned up and clear.

This approach is a lot more effective. I used to wait patiently for weeks for my SWCG to slowly process all the organics. It was a slow process.

Also, how old is your cell? When did you clean it with muriatic acid last? If you look at the fins does it have scale?

I am not using the SWG to "clean up" my waster. But thanks for the thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

How often do you want to drain half your pool due to high CYA? He will be adding at least 10 ppm per week of CYA to your pool with pucks.

How old is your SWG?

Tell us about your green pool, how you fixed it and how you knew you had it all cleaned up.

As i posted I did not have this issue last year. everything else is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

How old is your SWG?

In the generally accepted fashion.

- - - Updated - - -

What size is your Aquarite Saltwater Cell?

I am not using the SWG to "clean up" my waster. But thanks for the thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

As i posted I did not have this issue last year. everything else is the same.

- - - Updated - - -

In the generally accepted fashion.

- - - Updated - - -

What size is your Aquarite Saltwater Cell?

TCell-15. I've always read its better to have an oversized cell, and run it less, than the opposite.

So, you had "green pool syndrome", and apparently addressed that. However you say that your FC is at 3 even though you still add bleach daily. That makes me think that while the pool may look better, your still dealing with algae. My point was instead of "spoon feeding" it bleach with liquid or pucks, shock or slam it. Did you do that when you cleared up the "green pool syndrome"?

edit: just saw another post where you say you opened in mid may and temps were in the 90's. Next year open in April, considering your in Ga. If I wait a couple weeks when the weather is above 70 or so its always more of a battle to open and clear things up.

Last year was, last year. There's variables that affect pool balance and chemistry year to year.

Millerman, I'm sure you're frustrated, but we're just trying to help you get back to enjoying your pool.
We ask these questions to try to get more information so we can help you.
"Generally accepted fashion" means a lot of things to a lot of different people.

Honestly, the first thing I point to is that you never fully eradicated the algae. Try not to ignore that potential solution.

Millerman, I'm sure you're frustrated, but we're just trying to help you get back to enjoying your pool.
We ask these questions to try to get more information so we can help you.
"Generally accepted fashion" means a lot of things to a lot of different people.

Honestly, the first thing I point to is that you never fully eradicated the algae. Try not to ignore that potential solution.

I understand. the "generally accepted fashion" would be the TFP method. Which I am sure you are completely aware of. While I do not know your background with pool chemistry and considering you have only been a member of TFP for a short time as have I am looking for more someone with more experience.

Thanks,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
^^^^ This ain't Rocket Surgery.

If you don't like SWG's:
#1 Pour Bleach in the pool everyday or two or....
#2 Pour Bleach in you Stenner Pump Reservoir every so often.

Just be sure you pass the Over Night Chlorine Loss Test and your CC is less than .5.

^^^^ This ain't Rocket Surgery.

If you don't like SWG's:
#1 Pour Bleach in the pool everyday or two or....
#2 Pour Bleach in you Stenner Pump Reservoir every so often.

Just be sure you pass the Over Night Chlorine Loss Test and your CC is less than .5.

It's not that I do not like SWGs it is just that it is not working as it did last year. I passed the ONCL. U will check for SWG scaling tomorrow. I checked last year and attempted cleaning but there was no reaction to the muriatic acid bath.

I'm not a moderator or an expert...... but they may say:

* Welcome to TFP!
* You need a Taylor K-2006c or TF-100 testkit
* A complete set of water test results
* A SWG that is rated 2x the size of your pool (T-15 cell will do).

With the IC20 you may need it to run 24/7 at 100% in the summer to keep up.

Generally the only thing that eats Chlorine is Sunlight, Bather Load and Algae.

Your Salt generator is too small, you know that already. PH at 8 will cause the cell to scale. I know as I am bad at neglecting PH and have more recently started monitoring it closely. If FC will not go up, it is very likely you have algae. You may not really see it, but it will eat the chlorine. You need to add a lot of chlorine to kill the algae otherwise you will just be fighting it forever. With a CYA of 80, you will need to raise the chlorine level quite high to kill the algae. I had a number of issues with my salt generator at my old house leading to my pool turning green multiple times. So green at one point that it was frankly a health hazzard with mosquitos flying above it. Lots of chlorine fixed it right up. The problem is, it took way way more chlorine that I thought it would. I believe that is your problem. You are adding enough chlorine to keep up with the algae but not enough to kill it.

Millerman, maybe I missed it in the thread, but how long are you running your pump, and what percentage is your swg set to? With those two figures, I'll post you a chart for your pool size that shows run time.

I'll also agree that you should carefully perform the OCLT (with the IC disconnected and pump running) even if you passed it previously, if you don't pass it now then there's your answer and you'll need to SLAM. As you may know, You can't slam using the IC alone.

Let's say you pass the OCLT, there's other reasons it was fine last year and not this year, some of those include bather load, weather, cell scaling, etc).
You might want to get that Ph under control.

While tempting, tabs aren't the answer as your CYA is already hight. If you add any more and end up needing to SLAM it will be completely impractical.

I can hear your frustration. I can assure you we all want you to succeed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.