Green pool questions about SLAM

I added a total of 8.5 lb of stabilizer (7.5 then another pound) but CYA level is nowhere to be seen. Can you take a look at the pics.

I follow the instructions, they are not even that difficutl for CYA test. Did I underestimate the size of the pool? I would expect
the test mix would be somewhat cloudy after I added all that stabilizer but it does not look like it is.

Should I add another pound of stabilizer?

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_192150.jpg
    IMG_20200514_192150.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200514_192139.jpg
    IMG_20200514_192139.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200514_192051.jpg
    IMG_20200514_192051.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 22
You added 28 ppm CYA if your pool is 36K. I have never used that test device. But if you see the dot, add another 3 lbs. That is 10 ppm worth.
I assume you have used the sock method to add and have waited a good 24 hours after it was fully dissolved prior to testing.

It was 5ppm before I started adding stabilizer, supposedly it's 33 ppm now but it does not look like it to me.

Yes, I use sock method and it took 48 hours for it to dissolve completely.

What test do you use for CYA?

A CYA of 5 ppm is not measurable. How did you get that piece of data?
I use the TF100 CYA test. It is similar, a disappearing dot.

I have dissolved a total of 18lb of CYA but I can still see the dot. I use sock method, pump is running non-stop and etc... This is frustrating.

Do you know where does CYA go?

If you have dissolved 18 pounds of CYA in a 36K gallon pool, your CYA is 60. It has not gone anywhere.

What CYA brand are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My concern is that you have been adding borax (sodium tetraborate). 18 pounds would have raised your pH by about 0.9 points. TA by about 16 ppm.

Any possibility of that? Do you still have some of the CYA product left?

No, my concern is the package was entirely borax. We have had reports in the past of chemicals from some on line retailers mixed up in packaging.

If you truly added 18lbs of CYA to your pool volume, the CYA is 60 ppm in the water. Without a doubt.

So the first 10lb of CYA I bought online, it's In The Swim brand. Picture of it is in my first post on this page from May 14th. Then I bought another 8lb from local Leslie's store, I do not have a picture of it but I can take it tomorrow if necessary.

What do I do now? My pool is green the weather is heating up, algae is growing.

Where should I buy chemicals?

OK -- not likely the CYA from both sources would be bad. The only thing that consumes CYA is a bacteria that converts it to ammonia. I cannot imagine it would be there but who knows.

We need to try this. Add enough liquid chlorine to raise the FC by 10ppm. Circulate the pool for 15 minutes. Test the FC and CC and let us know what you get.

That is a good sign. So the CYA is in the water. So either there is a testing issue or the CYA was not really CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.