Green Pool, NOT ALEGAE and NOT COPPER? Really need help from you pro's!

For what it's worth, this year when I was opening my pool, my water had a green tint for several days, even though all my numbers were good and I had no algae presence whatsoever. I read somewhere here on TFP that prolonged high chlorine levels would do that. A few days after I got it down from the shock level to a consistent 5, it cleared up and has been sparkling ever since. Not saying that this is your problem, but it's something to consider.

The PH wasn't far off, just at 7.0 before.

I had the pool at slam level for 3 day's...it's not any living thing causing that color. For fun (and I use that term loosely) I hit the pool with the hose for 1.5hrs last night. When I woke up in the morning it was a deep rust/brown/yellow color (still clear but HEAVY COLOR). It's metals for sure.

Since I don't have time to screw around I bit the bullet and have drained the whole pool. On Monday I'm having pre cholrinated and "balanced" (we'll see about that:) water trucked in. With the 4th of July two weeks away and all the other party related work I have to get done I cannot fuss with this nightmare anymore.

We are also sending our well water out for a full test. My guess is it's time for a new well as the one we have is a shallow well and very prone to enviornmental changes. That will be a wallet killer but there's no way I can have a pool that I can't top off from my hose when it gets low.

I had a very similar problem when I filled my seasonal pool last year, and again this year. HTH makes a product called Metal Out that helped almost immediately. Then had to vacuum and change filter a few times, but then was nice and clear. This year took a few doses, but then again, the town I live in has admitted that the iron filter is shot and only running at about 20%. They are trying to get money together to replace it.

Ah the joys of small town living.....

I know it's been 6 months but I just wanted to come back and close this thread with a resolution so anyone looking at this in the future has an answer. The green/blue pool problem cost me $15,000 to fix :(. That's the cost for a new 1000ft well plus a total pool drain/refill from a semi (wasn't going to tax my new well with a 27,000 gallon welcome to the wold). Turns out I had a TON of iron just start coming out of my well out of nowhere. The well had been in use for 25 years with no problems and out of the blue (get it)....

We got are new well up and running and have since used it for top off's ect with no problems. Back to an easy to keep clean pool!!!! Thank you all for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.