Green Pool Issues

Tjp107

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2017
Toms River, NJ
I have been battling with the pool store on trying to get the green algae out of my pool. After 3 attempts and approximately 2 weeks of nothing but problems I found this site (TFP) and plan on firing my pool store!

Two evenings ago a used 4 gallons of pool store super shock. Thirty - six hours later the pool is still green as it was before. Below are my pool water test results from the pool store. (just ordered a TF-100 Pool testing kit)

Free Chlorine OVER 18.3 ppm
Total Chlorine OVER 18.3 ppm
Combined chlorine 0 ppm
PH 8
Hardness 146 ppm
Alkalinity 132 ppm
Cyanuric Acid 115 (OUCH)

According to the pool store CYA recommended range is 30 - 150 ppm. My research is different!

Sounds like I will have to drain a portion of of pool to lower my CYA, but should I continue to filter water until my FC and TC also lower.

Thank You

Re: Green Pool Isuues

Welcome to the forum -- good decision to order a quality test kit.

Assuming you have been using Trichlor or Dichlor do you believe your CYA is that high? If so -- a drain would be helpful to get things in order quicker.

With a vinyl liner, do not drain further than leaving 1' of water in the shallow end.

Keep adding bleach - 1 gallon a day should be good - until you get your test kit.

should I continue to filter water until my FC and TC also lower.

Not real sure what you are asking in the above. You should keep circulating and chlorinating your water.

Keep asking questions -- take care.

I have been battling with the pool store on trying to get the green algae out of my pool. After 3 attempts and approximately 2 weeks of nothing but problems I found this site (TFP) and plan on firing my pool store!

Two evenings ago a used 4 gallons of pool store super shock. Thirty - six hours later the pool is still green as it was before. Below are my pool water test results from the pool store. (just ordered a TF-100 Pool testing kit)

Free Chlorine OVER 18.3 ppm
Total Chlorine OVER 18.3 ppm
Combined chlorine 0 ppm
PH 8
Hardness 146 ppm
Alkalinity 132 ppm
Cyanuric Acid 115 (OUCH)

According to the pool store CYA recommended range is 30 - 150 ppm. My research is different!

Sounds like I will have to drain a portion of of pool to lower my CYA, but should I continue to filter water until my FC and TC also lower.

Thank You

Welcome to the forum.

If your CYA is truly 115ppm, that FC of 18ppm is not high at all, in fact, it's too low to stop the algae bloom.

As mknauss has mentioned, it's best to add a gallon of bleach daily until your TF-100 arrives and we can get some reliable test results.

Good Afternoon,

Just an update from Friday. I drained out about 31 inches of pool water leaving 17 standing (48 inches is full). My CYA was 115 prior to the draining. I was able to remove the green algae on the bottom with a submersible pump (so I think??). Now the pool in being filled with a garden house and will probably take about at least 24 hours or more. The water now appears to a cloudy grayish blue color. While the pool is filling should I still add some bleach to keep the algae at bay even though the pump is not running? Also, would it be sensible to get test reading while its filling?

My TF 100 test kit arrived yesterday. Ordered it on Friday and got it on Saturday.

Thank You

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.