Green Pool in OKC - Getting ready for Weekend Attack

Ok, Here is what i did... 3 seperate tests

Test 1: Used the R0870 powder with pool water, turns pink, one drop of R0871 and it goes clear....then light pink in 10 to 15 seconds. BTW after a while earlier i left it out and it was dark pink.

Test 2: I tested the actual kit, i poured a teaspoon of bleach in 16oz of water. R0870 turns magenta, then when swirled, turns clear without adding any R0871. So I think I have a bad tester. But I bought the bonus tester for green monsters... I use my other container of R0870 and it turns magenta and stays when swirled. Then I add the R0871 3-4 drops and it stays pink so i feel better about this powder.

Test 3: I use the second container of R0870 and these are the results...

FC 1.5
CC 4.5
TC 6.0

I have already used 50% of my stock of chlorine which was the recommended 4 times the initial shock value... Am i doing something wrong, should the tester slowly go back to pink and i should ignore that?

Hi,

Your powder is good, you just have low FC in the pool. When you put the teaspoon of Bleach in 16oz of water, the FC level was ENORMOUS in that container. It was so high it bleached out the color indicator in the powder. When you did the test, and it went clear with a drop, it was right. When you wait 10-15 seconds, it will turn back pink again. It should stay clear for about half that time, and you have a good test.

You are simply using up the FC in the pool. Your test is fine.

Thanks both of you, big help... We went to dinner and I stopped by Leslie's, they said I had FC = 1 and TC = 1, so yes it's the pool, very silty, suspended, like a shallow man made lake. Meanwhile we are having flash flooding and tornados just south of the Okc metro, so taking a break while the storm passes. Local tv has broken in

That all sounds normal. Everything you said indicates that the R-0870 powder is working normally.

Test 1) You probably have a very high CC level, which is "leaking through" into the FC test when you let the sample sit for 15 seconds.
Test 2) At very high FC levels the sample will turn pink and then "bleach out" to clear as the high FC level overwhelms the amount of powder you added.
Test 3) It sounds like this one worked, or is at least close to correct.

You almost certainly have some ammonia in the water. Ammonia turns FC into CC quite quickly. You need to continue adding chlorine until you run off all of the ammonia.

That all sounds normal. Everything you said indicates that the R-0870 powder is working normally.

Test 1) You probably have a very high CC level, which is "leaking through" into the FC test when you let the sample sit for 15 seconds.
Test 2) At very high FC levels the sample will turn pink and then "bleach out" to clear as the high FC level overwhelms the amount of powder you added.
Test 3) It sounds like this one worked, or is at least close to correct.

You almost certainly have some ammonia in the water. Ammonia turns FC into CC quite quickly. You need to continue adding chlorine until you run off all of the ammonia.

Thanks Jason, we have had incredible amounts of rain here, major flooding to our south we got 4 inches here in about 4 hours last night and my pool has raised at least that much. Today we are taking some Sunday rest, still light rain here and has been raining all day. Went out to get more ammo (Bleach) and re-evaluate my situation. My neighbor has the same problem I am having, we are comparing notes he is going the traditional route I am going BBB. I have told him at the end of the summer we should compare receipts, he agreed. So that should be interesting, I think he is going to be disappointed. So he and I have the same silt problem. He dumped floc in his pool and the silt cleared out so he could see what he was vacuuming and so I did some digging on the forum here and chose to use the bottle left by the previous owner about 7 hours ago. I am glad that I did at least for now, I can see that the pool is clearing the silt nicely and can see what I am attacking. I know this is adding more work for me, but to be here messing with it all day yesterday and to have all the rains come again, and then being able to see a 6 inches into the water this morning was very defeating. So I hope I have not committed a major TFP sin, but I had to keep my sanity with all the h.e.double-hockey-sticks I have been going through with this pool.

I have 21 bottles of 121 oz 8.25% bleach for the attack tomorrow. Hopefully we can get a long enough break from the rain.

- - - Updated - - -

Be safe! Scary stuff!

Kim

BTW, thanks for all the encouragement. Site cheerleader.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Your powder is good, you just have low FC in the pool. When you put the teaspoon of Bleach in 16oz of water, the FC level was ENORMOUS in that container. It was so high it bleached out the color indicator in the powder. When you did the test, and it went clear with a drop, it was right. When you wait 10-15 seconds, it will turn back pink again. It should stay clear for about half that time, and you have a good test.

You are simply using up the FC in the pool. Your test is fine.

Thanks for that Patrick, I kinda figured nobody was running this test for an hour, but just making sure.

"we have had incredible amounts of rain here, major flooding to our south we got 4 inches here in about 4 hours last night and my pool has raised at least that much."

I know how you feel, we got 6 inches in 4 hours last night, its crazzzzzzy... there were 2 rivers running through my back yard.
I have my boat in the driveway ready to go :)

0-awesome.jpg

1-awesome.jpg

"we have had incredible amounts of rain here, major flooding to our south we got 4 inches here in about 4 hours last night and my pool has raised at least that much."

I know how you feel, we got 6 inches in 4 hours last night, its crazzzzzzy... there were 2 rivers running through my back yard.
I have my boat in the driveway ready to go :)

0-awesome.jpg

1-awesome.jpg

WOW, wow! Unreal weather we are having. The ground is so saturated, water is just flowing out of it. BTW, cool looking tool there, i want one

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the rain stopped yesterday and we got out last night and vacuumed for 2 hours. Here are the results of the Floc/vacuum... photo (5).jpg

At least now we can see what we are dealing with. Going to have some breakfast, vac again and then attac with the Bleach... It is supposed to rain AGAIN this afternoon, pray that it doesn't at all.

praying for you... looking good... remember to try and keep above SLAM level all the time once you start, it will go faster.. :) Looks like the rain "might" go south of us, we can hope, cant we...

Pool Day 1.jpg

After a the second vacuum the pool looks a lot better, still a little cloudy, refilling the pool a little to get that last dirtspot before SLAMing...

FC = 3
CC = .5
TC = 3.5
CH = 175
PH = 7.2
TA = 140
CYA = less that 20, now that the water is clear i can see I have very little.

What is the best method to add the cyanuric acid? Answered my own question, stick a sock in it, or actually the other way around.

Help please...

I tested it, went to pool math and poured in 2 jugs of chlorine per pool math guidance.
1 hour later i tested it again. FC = 1, CC = 4 so I assume TC = 5
I poured in 2.5 jugs of chlorine per pool math
20 min later I test again FC = 1 CC = 9 so TC = 10.
I have a headache from the chlorine smell...

We also tested with the OTO and it shows 1, so not sure why that is so low with the TC = 10. And I can really smell the chlorine.

Why is my FC so low?

I plan to test again in 15 min and add more chlorine, however if something is wrong, I don't want to over chlorinate my pool and hurt something.

Ok, 1 hour since last chlorine dump... I am getting these results...

Test water smells like chlorine.
OTO CL Test = 0.5 to 1
FC Test = 1
CC Test = 9
Assumeing TC = 10 as I am adding them together

Here is how I am testing...
Filling Chlorine only vile to 10ml, adding small scoop of the poweder using the little spoon provided, the concave side, not the flat side.
mixing around the powder, it turns pink. Two drops of the R0871 turns it clear, so FC = 1. I add 5 drops of the R0003 and it goes magenta in color and takes 18 drops of the R0871 to clear it, co CC = 9.

Do I add more chlorine or hold for now? Please help... thanks guys...

Your CYA converted to ammonia :( That has happened quite often this winter/spring. We still not sure why. Several are trying to find the causes but..........it really does not matter why. We can fix it!

-BLEACH and lots of it! You are going to have to hit is hard and heavy. At first it will suck down your bleach almost as fast as you can pour it in. After a few times you will notice that your FC is sticking around and your CC is getting less and less. Once you get rid of most of your CC you know you are on the upswing.

Good luck and happy SLAMING!

Kim

Sounds like an ammonia issue.....

Keep adding chlorine and test 15 minutes later; then retest and dose again. It will take an almost surreal amount of chlorine to break the chain but you can do it!

Thanks, I read here Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
that the chlorine smell is CC. I went to pool math and added another 2.5 jugs.

But I am concerned about so much CC chlorine in my liner pool, can that hurt the liner? I have dumped 7 walmart jugs of bleach in the pool in the last 3 hours. How much chlorine do you think I need to finish this off? I know I don't have a choice, but I have spent a lot on chorine, $80 so far, but I still have 1/2 of it left.

Thanks for everyone's help, kim, and others since i started posting.. Thanks guys...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.