Green pool, I'm losing faith in the fight!!

Still going strong :)
8e8yzu3e.jpg

I've converted my neighbor and a friend to the BBB method. :D

Hi everyone. cdkoster is actually our son, who lived next door to us for a while when he had the pool. Now, "the neighbors" (us) are going through the same thing, except totally algae related, not metallic. This thread, and our son's expertise thanks to all of your help, is going to help tremendously. Started off with 0 chlorine and over 8 on the pH. Got that down to 7.2, and now we're SLAMming. After 12 bottles of bleach, we're at FC 6. Added 5 more and will test again in about an hour. After reading through all this, and hours of biology and chemistry lessons, I'm optimistic again we can get this pool right.

'm optimistic again we can get this pool right.
You certainly can. Your algae will act like everyone's algae and your pool and pool water will respond as everyone's does. Clearing your pool is quite easy once you have the faith and can KEEP that chlorine up.

What does your pool look like now? Can you post test results? Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You certainly can. Your algae will act like everyone's algae and your pool and pool water will respond as everyone's does. Clearing your pool is quite easy once you have the faith and can KEEP that chlorine up.

What does your pool look like now? Can you post test results? Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thanks, Duraleigh.

Well, things sure changed. Here's the rundown:

44,000 Gal pool
Temp 96 degrees
pH 7.2
TA 120
FC .5

I added 12 bottles of the WalMart bleach this morning, and it tested at FC 6. In trying to get to 15, I added 5 more jugs today and after about 2 hours, it showed hardly any chlorine. After the test it read about .5. cdkoster seems to think it MAY be the age of the bleach that could be a problem? I checked and 1 bottle I used had 119 and another, yet unused, shows 220. Also, it just started lightly raining right before I did this last test. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Duraleigh.

Well, things sure changed. Here's the rundown:

44,000 Gal pool
Temp 96 degrees
pH 7.2
TA 120
FC .5

I added 12 bottles of the WalMart bleach this morning, and it tested at FC 6. In trying to get to 15, I added 5 more jugs today and after about 2 hours, it showed hardly any chlorine. After the test it read about .5. cdkoster seems to think it MAY be the age of the bleach that could be a problem? I checked and 1 bottle I used had 119 and another, yet unused, shows 220. Also, it just started lightly raining right before I did this last test. Any suggestions?

are you using K2006/TF100 test kit? It would be too much of FC drop even for algae. So this would be either measurement error or some other chemicals added there in the last year besides chlorine.

Please post CYA, CC's and CH as well.

What does your water look like? Has the pool been neglected for a long period of time? There is only one answer.....you need more chlorine but answering those questions may help you understand how and why you are adding it.

Please post CYA, CC's and CH as well.

What does your water look like? Has the pool been neglected for a long period of time? There is only one answer.....you need more chlorine but answering those questions may help you understand how and why you are adding it.

I am using a brand new K-2006 kit, and I forgot to mention testing at 10ml. The pool has been neglected in that my husband was throwing bleach (the last time 20 jugs about a month ago) into it for a while before that when it turned green. He also had put a bunch of shock in it for a couple of days. Needless to say, we've been paying a lot of $$ since the Spring, but not maintaining it properly. It hasn't been blue in probably 1.5 to 2 months. The green is slightly lighter than it was, but still very green, although not as much as cdkoster's first photos. The last reading of CYA Wed. night was less than 20. CC with this last reading was .5 and not sure about the CH. cdkoster will be around here eventually to fill you in on other details as I just took over the maintenance when hubby said he was going to pay someone to come and fix it haha. cdkoster has been guiding me all along the way and monitoring the testing and readings. He was stumped by this last reading, too. It took 3 scoops to get the water even slightly pink. He also had me get another sample directly from the jets, and the reading was still low.

I haven't read this entire thread, but adding 12 bottles of bleach and only getting a FC of 6 sounds like an ammonia problem to me. It happened to me this year, my CYA had converted to ammonia and was devouring loads of chlorine. I had to shock, wait 30 min, bring back to shock, wait 30 min, bring back to shock etc. but for my 23000 gallon it only took 12 bottles of walmart bleach before it started holding chlorine levels at the pool math suggested levels. Just a thought.

0818161608.jpg (not sure why it's posting sideways)

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read this entire thread, but adding 12 bottles of bleach and only getting a FC of 6 sounds like an ammonia problem to me. It happened to me this year, my CYA had converted to ammonia and was devouring loads of chlorine. I had to shock, wait 30 min, bring back to shock, wait 30 min, bring back to shock etc. but for my 23000 gallon it only took 12 bottles of walmart bleach before it started holding chlorine levels at the pool math suggested levels. Just a thought.

The ammonia thing is new to me, so I'm going to research a bit about that.

I found this in another thread about ammonia, which seems to make sense here, although I don't smell anything. "This only occurs when the FC is depleted, allowing the organics to thrive in the now chlorine free environment. Once the CYA is "eaten up" you have ammonia in the water and it is a very involved process to rid the water of the ammonia, often taking LOTS of bleach before you can maintain even the most miniscule amount of FC." When I started testing on Wednesday, we had 0 FC, and pH was over 8ppm. Added Muriatic Acid a bit at a time to get the level to 7.2 by early this morning. Then we started SLAMming. 12 jugs = FC 6 CC 1.5; added 5 more jugs = FC .5 and CC .5 (10ml).

(As a side note, cdkoster did regular testing and maintenance this Spring and it was right for a while, and has been in the past.)

I'm here. I did the cya test and it was barely cloudy once I filled the tube all the way up. I would like to double check that test, but fairly certain the cya is low. Last year it was through the roof.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.