Green Pool Help

jshbkr

Mar 24, 2010
Monday, discovered my pool turned green overnight. It's a lightish green color, with no apparent algae on the sides or steps, but when brushed dust is created. What I have done so far:
I have only basic walmart test kit, but the stats look fairly good and pool store confirmed this. I did panic and purchased silver algicide, per the pool stores suggestion, which I did apply with chlorine

Monday: added 35oz 67% triclor shock and turned pump on 24hrs. Also added remainder of 6% bleach (about 140oz)
Tue evening: added 182oz bleach and 8oz silver algicide. before bed added another 182oz bleach
Wed morning: added maybe 3oz silver algicide

So far color has not changed much and I have been brushing about 5 times a day. I backwashed my sand filter before the algicide and pressure has stayed at normal level. Before starting algicide and bleach ph was good around 7.6 i think. Now after testing in the morning looks higher around 8.0. Chlorine level is high, but walmart tester remember. Should i lower ph now, or wait until pool starts clearing up? reading could be off due to tester and much chemicals? What's my next move? I plan to continue adding chlorine... i understand that I cannot add too much?

Thanks for any help.
estimated stats before beginning above process:
FC: 2.0
TC: 2.0
ph: 7.6
CYA: 40
TA: 100 to 120
NOTE: i'm not sure about my pump. in the past the pool will get hazy and not able to see from side to side under the water, but leslie's ultra bright clears it up overnight. The pressure does increase over about 2wks by 10psi and backwashing reduces the pressure to normal. seems after backwashing it will return some dirt into the pool from the returns, but stops after awhile. it's a rental so can't put too much effort into it.

I would get chlorine up to 16 and hold it there until you are not loosing any chlorine over night.

After you get everything cleared, you want to keep your chlorine at about 5. You do that, and you won't get any future blooms.

If you find that you are not loosing chlorine over night, and you are still green, I would want to look into metals. But from what I see so far, it would be a pretty atypical metal problem.

i understand that I cannot add too much?
You certainly can. However, follow waskydiver's advice and bring it to 16ppm and HOLD IT THERE until your pool clears up. It'll be crystal if you follow those directions.

Disregard everything else for now.....you need chlorine.

thanks for the advice. since i do not have a good chlorine tester, can i estimate by color. I have walmart tester that goes by color up to about 5ppm. this morning from pool calculator i should be around 10ppm, but sun in phoenix will zap this down. I'm guessing about 182oz when i get home at 5pm and keep the same color testing every 2hrs. thanks again

from the pool I see no evidence of LIVE algae....which would lead me to believe that your algae is dead and that the problem is actually filtration. What type of filter do you have....DE or sand?

If DE service the filter and look for tears in the fabric of the "grids" inside.

If Sand I would look into using alum or a flocculant, and a filter aid such as DE powder or a fiber media to aid the sand in catching these particles.

After checking on your filtration:
Switch your circulation from skimmer suction to 100% main drain and circulate the pump until clear.

The picture appears to have an aquamarine color....is this from the camera or is the pool in fact an aquamarine color?
If yes have the water tested for copper at a local retailer...most pool stores can do this for you.

Thanks Mr. Ed I will concentrate on filtering. I have a question on how my pool is plumbed. I have a valve which states skimmer or cleaner and I have 2 main drains. One of the main drains looks connected to the skimmer with skimmer having dibs on suction, and I do not know about the other main drain... how is it used?

I also have to put the valve to about 7/8 cleaner to have adequate movement from my hayward. And still seems that the skimmer is working well, although cannot feel the suction unless I cup my hand over the inlet. I have the skimmer float valve 100% open for skimmer. Also with full skimmer float valve closed and 100% skimmer pump valve open, I cannot feel the main drain suction (maybe very very slightly). But pool flow is good.

This is a rental that I will be moving from shortly, so I really don't want to service the filter.

EDIT: I closed the skimmer float valve so it pulls from main drain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.