Green pool due to chemical reaction

Good morning. I’m not convinced that conquest actually removed the copper, but merely sequestered part of it...which was likely released again if you elevated your FC by much.

The Ascorbic Acid in stain free will lift the stain, but you need sequestrant to then control the metal freed back into the water. So the released copper is what’s causing your tint.

While a high dose of Metal Magic or Jacks, two of the HEDP type sequestrants we normally recommend, might sequester that much copper, I’d instead suggest first a partial drain to dilute the copper concentration — or ideally, eliminate with a series of water changes. Otherwise, you will be constantly treating the water to keep the copper in check, and it will take a higher volume of sequestrant to manage it.

But if your in a hurry, you could try a double dose of Metal Magic and see if the tint cleared. That would be what I would do in a pinch.

Thank You! I’m going to my pool store today and will share your recommendation with them. The green seemed to clear on it’s own this AM but if you think I still have copper in the pool I really want to get that out...and the staining off. Thanks

Thank You, so if I want to try again do I first add the sequestering agent and then add the stain free? Do I wait in between or add them back to back. After I add the stain free it says to keep filter off for night...is this accurate? Once that is done how long until I can add shock as my pool has been without chlorine for a few days?

I just returned from the pool store and since no copper stain removers are working they feel these are mold stains behind the liner. They are recommending a supper chlorination with liquid chlorine. Any suggestions or is this the correct way to treat. Thanks

They look like mold stains to me. If the mold is behind the liner, they won't ever go away. They might lighten if you SLAM, but they will come back.

I think that you probably have metals (copper and iron), which might stain during a SLAM.

So, you're in a bad position. Maybe try some sequestrant to see if the color goes away.

Then, you can try a SLAM to see what happens, but it might cause problems.

What filter do you have?

If you have a sand filter, what color is the backwash water?

If you have a cartridge or de filter, open it up and take a picture of the dirty filter to see if it looks like copper or iron. Then, wash the filters well.

If you have white fiberglass steps, are they discolored (turquoise, black, grey etc.)?

Did the stains happen suddenly or develop over time?

Copper stains that look like what you have usually happen when there is copper in the water and someone broadcasts calcium hypochlorite. The stains happen quickly where the calcium hypochlorite hits the floor.

Copper stains don't always respond well to ascorbic acid. They usually require sulfamic acid.

If the stains developed slowly over time, that points more to mold.

They developed quickly, seemed to start around the time my pool heater broke. High chlorine levels bleaches them a bit. I will be adding a sequestrant tonight. I have a sand filter, water is now clear, backwash is clear, steps are white. I did have a high copper count in the pool but that is down to .3. What product name is sulfamic acid sold under. Willing to try anything to remove stains as liner is only 2 years old. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.