Green on water jets

livelox

Jun 13, 2019
Cyprus
Hello everyone
Livelox here.
I was missing for 2 days and couldnt add any chlorine in the pool. I came home to see green stuff like algae? On 2 jets of the deep end of the pool.
I added chlorine to about 5-6ppm and the pH was pretty high.
CYA from strips is around 30ppm and my father told me that he added some water because the level the pool was low.
Is it something to worry about ?
My chlorine js at 5-6 ppm as I told you before after adding the poolmath suggestion.

In addition
I brushed it of with a brush and decent pressure and there are some small spots on the bottom of the pool where i brushed those too.
I believe i should make an overnight chlorine test?

Live,

Welcome, for a new member you have a lot of posts and we thank you for that. Do you have a test kit for CYA? Strips are notoriously inaccurate but I know proper test kits are also very difficult to get in some places. If you have visible algae, cc over .5, or the FC is at zero you need to SLAM. If you catch it quick you'll be done very soon. What is your CC? You can always do an OCLT test but not really needed 'till your CC is below 1 after you have an indicator that SLAM is needed. The presence of viable algae indicates you need a SLAM so you'll need to get to SLAM FC level of 12 ppm FC (assuming the 30 ppm CYA is correct). I've been doing TFP methods for 5 years and have never gotten test strips to work reliably for CYA. The bad thing is that in my case, they always read low. If you can't get a test kit can you tell us how you've been chlorinating? If you're using liquid chlorine only you probably don't have any CYA. If you've been using tablets, it's probably over 30 ppm.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Live,

Welcome, for a new member you have a lot of posts and we thank you for that. Do you have a test kit for CYA? Strips are notoriously inaccurate but I know proper test kits are also very difficult to get in some places. If you have visible algae, cc over .5, or the FC is at zero you need to SLAM. If you catch it quick you'll be done very soon. What is your CC? You can always do an OCLT test but not really needed 'till your CC is below 1 after you have an indicator that SLAM is needed. The presence of viable algae indicates you need a SLAM so you'll need to get to SLAM FC level of 12 ppm FC (assuming the 30 ppm CYA is correct). I've been doing TFP methods for 5 years and have never gotten test strips to work reliably for CYA. The bad thing is that in my case, they always read low. If you can't get a test kit can you tell us how you've been chlorinating? If you're using liquid chlorine only you probably don't have any CYA. If you've been using tablets, it's probably over 30 ppm.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
I have been helping around members but this time I needed help. :)
The kits are as is. I cant do anything else without spending a fortune.
Dichlor is what I am using but we are occasionally losing/adding water due to evaporation, therefore it is what i believe is the reason CYA is down. The kits i have listed in my signature.

Live,

CYA is not lost due to evaporation. It is a very heavy molecule and does not evaporate. It does degrade very slowly over time but this is very minor. Trichlor and Dichlor contain a large percentage of CYA. For every 7 oz dichlor tablet you add about 2 ppm CYA to your pool. Don't know how long you've been doing this but just a tablet per week would increase about 9 ppm per month. If you've been doing this a year you must definitely have more than 30 ppm CYA. Could easily be over 100 ppm by now.

I wish I could help with the CYA test kit in your region but there's nothing I can do for that. The only thing I can suggest is very rough but maybe roughly calculating how much CYA you have from additions and then to drain enough water to lower CYA periodically. My brother actually treat similar to this. He has a very large pool and doesn't want to mess with liquid chlorine. So he adds tablets and tests for CYA. Every few months he gets above recommended levels and drains/refills per calculated amount. He doesn't like salt water pool so SWG is not an option. Is SWG an option for you? If so, that might help your situation.

I wish I could be of more help. But TFP requires a way to reliably test to balance your water. Strips are not reliable enough. I've lived about 30% of my life in remote parts of the world. I loved every minute of it but some aspects can be frustrating. Is there anyway you can have somebody that travels to other parts of Europe bring a CYA test back for you?

Chris

Live,

CYA is not lost due to evaporation. It is a very heavy molecule and does not evaporate. It does degrade very slowly over time but this is very minor. Trichlor and Dichlor contain a large percentage of CYA. For every 7 oz dichlor tablet you add about 2 ppm CYA to your pool. Don't know how long you've been doing this but just a tablet per week would increase about 9 ppm per month. If you've been doing this a year you must definitely have more than 30 ppm CYA. Could easily be over 100 ppm by now.

I wish I could help with the CYA test kit in your region but there's nothing I can do for that. The only thing I can suggest is very rough but maybe roughly calculating how much CYA you have from additions and then to drain enough water to lower CYA periodically. My brother actually treat similar to this. He has a very large pool and doesn't want to mess with liquid chlorine. So he adds tablets and tests for CYA. Every few months he gets above recommended levels and drains/refills per calculated amount. He doesn't like salt water pool so SWG is not an option. Is SWG an option for you? If so, that might help your situation.

I wish I could be of more help. But TFP requires a way to reliably test to balance your water. Strips are not reliable enough. I've lived about 30% of my life in remote parts of the world. I loved every minute of it but some aspects can be frustrating. Is there anyway you can have somebody that travels to other parts of Europe bring a CYA test back for you?

Chris
No, I do not have one that can bring it to me.
Things is IF the cya is correct and on the correct level, is the forming of alge on water jets with low to none CH levels for 3 days normal ?
Chlorine levels go down day by day, we have a lot of sun here.

Don't know how to answer this but I'll try.. Assuming you meant FC not CH. If you keep your FC in the correct range for your actual CYA level you won't have algae. If your CYA gets too high the range for required FC increases. Any time you let your FC level drop below target for your CYA level you are at risk of getting algae and your pool is not being properly disinfected.

I hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.